"Surprise me"

"Who are you going to blackmail today?" Wanda asked.

Corey looked up from the newspaper without letting go the straw of his lemon shake from his mouth.

"Why do you ask?"

"It would be nice if I knew the plans for today."

"You don't like surprises?" he asked, smiling.

Wanda sighed. She had a very strange mood today and Corey's jokes didn't help her much.

"In this case, not too much" she replied, reaching for her cool drink.

Brunet rolled his eyes. He also probably wasn't in a mood today.

"I'll say that you don't have to worry about it until the evening."

Wanda put a straw in her mouth and took a sip of strawberry shake. She was a bit sleepy, however, she felt as if this dream was the quietest in her life.

She realized that her impressions of the day after yesterday were responsible for her strange well-being. Her companion probably again unknowingly helped her. Everything was somehow easier, though he didn't say anything she didn't know about the subject of her longing for people. Probably she just realized that some people have worse and she shouldn't shut herself in this despair. Corey showed her a lot of patience and understanding again yesterday, but today definitely something was wrong with him. He seemed to behave as always, but his thoughts seemed to be somewhere else.

"Look out, cause I'll blush" he said suddenly.

Wanda realized that she was watching him. She looked away with embarrasment. She decided to take her thoughts somehow.

"Where are the remaining implants in your body?" she asked.

Corey put down his drink and looked at green-eyed with a smile.

"The strength implant is here" he said, pointing to his left forearm, "the third implant I got; the endurance, is in the spinal cord. The speed-boosting implant is stuck in my left lung, and the vision-boosting, as you can guess, it's in the corneas. And where is regenerative and electromagnetic, you already know."

"So the placement of these implants matters?"

"Yes, but I don't always know what."

Wanda sat down more comfortably in a chair and began to play with a mug of her shake. She sighed again. She didn't understand what the soldier was about, why he was so without humor. For the first time since she met him, he hardly spoke until he was asked. What surprised her most was the fact that she was beginning to miss his irritating behaviors.

Perhaps their conversation yesterday stirred him a little? In the end, when he talked about how Elder Hildreth changed, she could see that it hurt him. Or maybe it's a matter of what he dreamed of? She had no idea.

"Good" she said, "if we have work in the evening, what are we going to do so far? It is almost twelfth."

Corey looked at her surprised. And after a while that a wide smile appeared on his face.

"And what would you like to do?" he asked gallantly.

She decided to play his game, in order to spend today better than it was promised.

She leaned over the table and, taking a straw of her shake in the mouth, she smiled towards her companion.

"Surprise me."

***

He adored when she behaved like that. Her teasing and glances - it all was making him melt away.