Chapter 1

I was taken aback as my eyes adjust to the large creature. What the hell is that? Was he taken over by a Varuga? I'm not sure, but I’m not sticking around to find out...

I swiftly rush through the park, hoping to slow the beast down. He’s overly buff, his veins popping out, as if about to burst at any moment. I run up a few steps leading to a slide and some other pieces of play equipment.

I swing myself down the slide as the beast tries to climb into the playground equipment. Once I jump up from the ground, I rush towards the main gate to hopefully report this to the night guards.

Before I make it to the gate, my backpack gets caught on some branches from a nearby bush. I sigh in frustration as I swiftly turn to unhook my bag from the branches. They’re not budging. I take off my bag as I try to untangle it that way. Still won’t budge, damn it!

I glance out the corner of my eye at the beast only to find that it isn't as dumb as I had hoped. It finally backed out of the playground only to walk around the equipment and run over to me. My heart begins to race faster the closer the beast gets. As the creature approaches me closer, my heart beats in sync with each step.

I scream as something pulls me away from the creature. The beast was merely a few feet from me, until something green wraps itself around my waist. I was lifted from the ground and sat down outside of the entrance gate.

I look down to examine the green object keeping a hold of my waist. A green vine with small leaves scattered acrossed it. Interesting. Wait, I’ve seen this once before. That’s only when ‘Circus’ was around. I swiftly stand only to search for one of their airships.

It’s too dark, so, most likely, I won’t spot it. They tend to keep their airships hidden. I grab a hold of the vine as I try to pry it off of me. I begin to panic as I examine my surroundings, hoping to find an item to help pry the vine from me. I sigh with irritation as I soon give up.

Suddenly, I hear someone call out a name similar to mine. Or maybe they called me? I'm not sure. Maybe I'm hearing things. I swiftly turn around as I prop myself up on my knees to peak through the fence. Surely enough, they didn’t say, Kai, right?

As my eyes search around, someone yells the name, Yogi, which sounds super cute. Soon I find myself staring at a blonde boy who can control the vines. Oh! So he’s the one who hasn’t let me go. Yet he’s the one fighting against that beast.

Though, there's another boy, maybe about my age, who's fighting the beast as well. I’m 17, by the way, if that helps anything. The other boy who’s shooting at the beast has black hair and wears goggles on his head. I wonder why.

Suddenly the beast charges my way once more, then the vine pulls me into the air and over to the blonde. “Can you run from here,” the blonde asks concerningly. I nod swiftly as I meet his gaze. He gives me a nod as he then removes the vine from my waist.

“Gareki! Take her back to the ship! Now,” the blonde exclaims.

“He’ll take you to safety. Stay with him, please,” he says softly as he gently pushes me away.

I run over to the brunette as he then grabs my arm. The beast charges at me, until the blonde holds him back with the vines. We run through the park and through the woods. I suddenly stop as we were merely 50 feet into the forest.

“Hey! What’s wrong,” the brunette exclaims.

I cover my ears as I fall to my knees. It’s too loud. I can’t stand the irritating buzzing noise when Varuga are around. It's so strong though. I think they're coming this way. This isn't going to be good.

“Wait, you look like...” the brunette trails off as a bunch of Varuga approach us.

He grabs my wrists to pull me on my feet again.

“Just a bit further, come on,” he yells.

We continue running through the forest until he comes to a stop. We’re met by a tall man with glasses, who wears a purple top hat and tux.

“Oh my, you’re... *clears throat* Come with me, my dear,” the man in purple says softly as he holds out his hand.

The brunette ran behind us to fight off the Varuga swiftly approaching. I take the man's hand as he then pulls me close to his side. The man wraps his arm around my waist as we float up to the airship. It was invisible up until a moment ago.

Once we’re inside, we’re welcomed by robots that look like little sheep. They’re quite cute.

The man pulls me closer as he whispers in my ear, “You may want to say, 'glad to be back', before they
throw you out.”

I tense up at his words.

“Glad to be back,” I say nervously.

The man laughs softly as he then says the same. The sheep welcome us to come in and lead us down a main hall. Once we’re inside the main room of the ship, the man turns to me as he bows.

“I apologize for the trouble and worry, my dear. Pardon me for my rudeness as well. I am the Second Ship's Captain, Hirato, of the National Defense Organization, Circus. If you don’t mind me asking, what may your name be, dear,” he speaks in a monotone voice, though, it’s very delicate.

I look down nervously as he straightens himself up.

“My name’s Kai Muhinyi. Pleasure to meet you, sir. Thank you for all your help. And there’s no need to apologize,” I speak nervously.

Hirato, the man whom wears the purple tux and top hat, puts out his hand once more. He has lovely eyes. A dark purple with little hints of blue about his iris, which nearly create an indigo color. He wears black glasses that almost enhance his eye color. It's beautiful.

Hirato looks to be in his early 20's, though, I think he has everyone fooled. He has a delicate smile and a fine jaw structure. He’s quite handsome. I take his hand as he pulls it closer to his lips. Hirato kisses the back of my hand as he then pulls away.

“The pleasure’s all mine, Kai. And you may call me Hirato. For now, you’ll stay here until further notice. We must do some research and run a few tests to make sure you’re okay. Once we’ve done so and you feel it’s right for you to take your leave, then you may do so,” Hirato states delicately.

He’s very proper, which I much appreciate. Hirato flashes me a soft smile as I nod. He holds out his hand in front of him as a phone then appears. It looks holographic. Quite interesting. Technology has come a long way.

Hirato calls someone and within a matter of seconds, a girl with short blonde hair and long pig tails appears before us. She's looks to be near my age as well. Hirato’s phone disappears as she continues to stare at him lightly, as if waiting for a command.

“Hello, my dear. Would you mind
leading Kai to her room,” Hirato asks kindly.

The girl nods as she then meets my gaze. She flashes me a small smile. Though, her smile doesn't meet her eyes. She seems almost worried or concerned about something.

“Follow me this way, please.”