seven.

Foreign Affairs
chapter seven.

❨ 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 ❩

❨ 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐂 𝐔𝐏 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐅𝐓𝐎𝐏 𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐁𝐎𝐖 𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃. And he was shooting his arrows into the city, illuminated in the night sky as if the sun hadn't slipped beyond the horizon.

Leon had asked Jace if he'd seen Alec, a worried expression on his face. And he had wanted to look with Jace, but Jace convinced him to let him look by himself. He was Alec's parabatai and he knew what Alec was feeling. He promised Leon that he'd make sure Alec was okay and convince him to come back into the Institute.

And now he was staring at Alec as he released arrows into the city one by one.

"Alec."

Alec turned his next arrow toward Jace but he didn't put the bow down or even shoot the arrow.

"Move."

"How long have you been up here?" he asked Alec worriedly.

"I'm glamoured. No one can see me. Move."

Jace could tell by the shake in Alec's voice, the shake he was trying to conceal by being stern, that Alec wasn't okay. Even if they didn't have the parabatai bond, it wasn't hard to figure it out.

"You can't beat yourself up."

"I'm not."

"Who are you talking to?" Jace asked him rhetorically. "It's me. I'm your parabatai. I know exactly what you're going through. What happened with Jocelyn, that wasn't you. That was the demon."

"Get out of the way."

His voice shook but he tried to be stern and angry. Jace could tell he was in some pain and if it'd been up here for a while, just releasing arrows into the air, his hand had to be cut up. Maybe even bleeding.

But with the night sky and dim lights around them, it was hard to tell if he was right.

"Hey." Jace held up his hands in a surrender, a small smile on his face as he tried to bring some assurance back to Alec. "Same side, remember?"

Alec's hand started to quiver and he let out a deep sigh through his nose, his jaw clenched and lips pressed tightly together. And he released the tension on his bowstring and arrow.

"Come on, man. Leon's worried about you. We all are. Come back inside."

"That's the last place I want to be."