thirty-two.

Foreign Affairs
chapter thirty-two.

Foreign Affairschapter thirty-two

❨ 𝐥𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐥𝐲𝐧 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐋𝐄𝐎𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐒 𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐆𝐆𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐌𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐒. The chains were so tight and short that he couldn't reach his jacket to get his phone or his stele. He had no way to get free and he wasn't strong enough to break the metal.

"Do you have any idea how many speeches I've heard Malachi give?" Jace questioned rhetorically. "How many times I've heard him...preach loyalty to the Clave above all else under the Angel? And all along he's...he's been working with our greatest enemy."

"How do you think I feel, Jace?" Leon huffed, laying his head against the wooden pole they were all chained to. "I went on diplomatic missions with him to keep peace with the Downworlders. He came to my house for holiday parties or feasts. Kai's mother named her son after Malachi because Malachi saved her husband's life once."

"How does the Consul, the leader of the entire Clave, end up a Circle member?"

Leon sighed and shook his head slightly. "Valentine threatened to wipe out any Shadowhunters who opposed him," he explained to his cousin.

"Malachi's just trying to save his own ass."

"And sit back while everything around him is destroyed."

Leon heard someone approaching the tent and he twisted his head to see Malachi himself enter, looking down at the three of them in disdain. Leon returned the look.

"How could you side with him?" Jace sneered at the Consul.

"There is only one side," the Consul quipped harshly. "The side of the angels. Valentine is only doing what the Clave has been trying to accomplish for centuries: eradicate demons."

"No," Clary denied harshly, twisting her head to look at Malachi. "No! The angels would never be in favor of killing millions of innocent Downworlders along with demons."

Malachi walked over to his cousin and Leon started struggling against his chains again. The Consul knelt down in front of her and Leon sneered at him. "When Raziel created the first Shadowhunter, there was no such thing as Downworlders. But over the centuries, disgusting half-breeds emerged. Warlocks, vampires, Seelies, werewolves. They banded together, grew more powerful. Finally, they will be destroyed. And so will you."

He stood up on his feet and bucked his head at a couple Shadowhunters waiting outside. Leon watched as three Shadowhunters he knew came into the tent, each one grabbing them and hauling them to their feet.