twenty-two.

Foreign Affairs
chapter twenty-two.

Foreign Affairschapter twenty-two

❨ 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲 𝐚 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐄𝐍. It was the right size for four people, but an extra place had to be added to accommodate Simon since he had to invite himself along.

He and Clary sat beside each other and then Leon and Jace sat down as well, leaving an empty seat for the Queen when she finished speaking with two of her maidens.

"I thought you said she was ancient," Clary spoke softly to Leon and Jace. "She hasn't even hit puberty."

"She is ancient," Leon assured Clary. "She uses Seelie magic to manipulate her age."

"Genius!" Simon breathed, making them turn to him. "She tries to seem all innocent and cute, but really she's just — "

"Hungry?"

Simon stopped talking and they turned to the Queen as she approached. She sat down in the space between Leon and Clary as Jace answered, "That's very kind, but we really should discuss business."

"Business is boring," the Queen mused. "That's why I sent a proxy to your Downworlder Cabinet meeting. And why I wouldn't speak with Leon Cleartree until now." Leon looked over at the Queen as she bobbed her head in his direction. Then, she looked back at Clary and Jace. "I'd like to know more about Valentine's children."

"Child, actually," Clary sighed, looking over at her cousin. "I'm the only one."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm not Valentine's son," Jace answered when the Queen looked to him.

"Yet, the same blood runs through both your veins," she pointed out. "The blood of the angel. Please, show me what it can do." Clary and Jace shared a look and then the Queen added, "Don't be shy."

"We're still learning how it works," Jace told her.

"Are you?" the Queen mused, not quite believing them. Leon watched her look to Simon as she asked, "And you, vampire. Are you still learning to walk in the sun?" She twisted her head around to Leon, not seeing the dumbfounded expression on Simon's face. "Mr. Cleartree? Are you still learning to be Valentine's nephew?"

"Wow, word travels fast down here," Simon pointed out, looking over at Leon skeptically. Clary had told him all about their recent revelation that Leon was her cousin, and he knew all about how Leon felt about being referred to as Valentine's nephew.