Chapter 4 - Winter is Coming

Its been a few days and I was actually settling into my role as princess, though there wasn't much to settle into. It's not as if I am handling the affairs of the kingdom or anything. I mostly just talk and charm the lords and ladies with my good looks and all around great personality. Or at least I try with the personality part.

I walked through the castle gardens. Marveling and the beautiful blue and purple flowers that grew everywhere. They gave off a pleasant and fruity aroma that the gentle breeze carried to all parts of the castle grounds. I reveled in the heat of the sun that warmed my skin. I skipped along the stone paths my blue silken dress and hair blowing in the wind as I sang that song from Rob Orbison, Pretty Woman.

Pretty woman, walkin' down the streetPretty woman the kind I like to meetPretty woman I don't believe you, you're not the truthNo one could look as good as you, mercy

I saw Ella running up to me from the distance which caused me to cease my dancing and singing. One downside to Faery was the lack of internet and anything that required electricity also the music. The human world had way better music by a long shot. Though many people here seemed to think it was rather distasteful. I guess some of it was but my music taste was more influenced by my mom and grandpa.

"Marie!"

"Yes!" I shouted back with mock enthusiasm.

"I have some really great news," that actually piqued my interest.

"What news?"

"We are going on a trip," she said with he grin spread wide to her ears.

"On a trip? to where?"

"To the winter court, its a tradition we do once a year. We mingle and celebrate with all the other courts one by one for three days each year and it helps keep the peace."

"Are we visiting all the courts?"

"Well yes that is the idea, and as a princess, you have been invited to come."

"This is amazing, I should go pack. Would you mind helping me?"

"It would be my pleasure miss," she said with a wide grin before he locked arms with me and we skipped all the way back to my chambers. I taught her the song pretty woman on the way.

"What is winter court like anyways?" Her grin faltered for a second.

"Well as you can imagine its a lot colder than it is here and there is about 5 feet more snow."

"I am used to the snow, I lived in Boston in the human world." She gave me a quizzical look which meant she didn't understand. "its just a really cold place," I said with a dismissive tone.

"Oh, Winter court is also exceptionally beautiful. If you go out past the mountains you can see an aurora of lights," I was sure my mouth was hanging so wide that I caught at least five flies in it.

"We have to go see it!"

"I would love to take you but unfortunately winter court is not as safe as it is here."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the people there are not as accepting of half-lings, humans, or human half-lings. In fact, some of the red caps actually eat humans. You cant wander off anywhere without a guard and all of them must stay with the king."

"Why tell me something so amazing about a place we are going to visit if I am not allowed to do that thing."

"My apologies miss."

"Well, I am going to go see those light with or without a guard. All you need to do is make sure no one knows where I went."

"Miss, you do know fae can't lie," I did know that actually but I seemed to have forgotten that one large detail.