Chapter 14 - A perfect distraction

I am in my room getting ready for the ball, Ella helps do my hair and makeup. She paints a gold design on my face that goes over my brow bone and snakes down onto my cheekbones. It is elegant and makes me look completely ethereal.

She braids my hair into intricate designs and piles half of it onto my head where she places a gold leaf crown. Gold designs snake their way down my neck and collar bone onto my arms.

She helps me get into a dress that I was fitted for a few days before. It is a fine gold gossamer material that shines and glistens as I move. It hugs my curves and flows behind me. My heels were also golden that had laces which tied up above my knees. There was an obvious gold theme for my outfit tonight.

I already told Ella about my newfound ability to do magic. She was overjoyed to hear the news. Though, I could see something in her eyes. It almost looked like regret or pity. I ignored it.

"Are you coming to the festival?" It was a stupid question and I knew it as soon as I asked. I grimaced and turned my head away I couldn't take it back now. Of course, she wasn't going she was a servant. She would probably be working in the kitchens or cleaning.

"No, I will not be attending." She sounded so miserable when she said those words. It never occurred to me how few joys she had in life. She was a servant after all. Maybe there was something I could do about that. Something to make it a little better for her.

"Here, look at this." I held you my hand and lifted up my index finger. I felt that familiar sense of energy and magic course through me. It was a warm feeling that traveled through my body all the way to my fingertip. At the tip of my finger, a little white flower grew from it and bloomed. My finger glowed which illuminated the flower in soft light. "It's beautiful right?"

Her eyes were wide and her mouth hung open as she watched me grow the flower from nothing.

"I had no idea you were so good. It is truly beautiful Marie." I smiled at her compliment.

"I've been working on it a little bit. I don't have much control over my magic yet but I have mastered this little parlor trick. I can barely use magic during the day but when I'm asleep I can make full trees grow from stone." I give her a look of exasperation "it makes no sense to me."

It wasn't long before I was walking down the grand hall and into the throne room. That was where tonight's ball was being held. Tables lined the walls and they carried elegant foods, garnishes, and fine wines. There was an abundance of faery fruit nectar that would no doubt be gone by the night's end.

Drapes hung from the high ceilings and many fairy lights created moving shadows of different colors. My father sat high and mighty on his throne that was elevated on a dais. courtiers were bringing gifts to him and asking favors. I had never given much thought to how tiring it might be to be a King. It would be hard to know who your true friends and allies were. People would always be wanting something from you and your goof favor. Those who didn't want these things probably wanted you dead.

I scan the crowd as I enter. The night was still early and yet the throne room was still packed with fae of all kind. The satyrs were happily groping and kissing some fae girls. Not to say that other fae weren't doing that as well.

Faery had a different view on public displays of affection and decency than humans. At every revel, there would be at least one fae who would show up naked and that is perfectly normal. They do not feel shame for their bodies in the way humans do. It's one of the traits of humans they love to exploit.

They love to glamour them into stripping off their clothes and then watch as they are embarrassed out of their minds. It is just one of the many ways they use humans as playthings. As I step into the throne room all eyes are on me. I guess my ensemble screams 'give me attention' and 'royalty'. It certainly doesn't say 'don't look at me'. I don't bother with all the eyes watching me, even though some are in awe and others are in disgust.