Chapter 8 - Kiss me again

I awoke from my dream in a cold sweat. My pink silken dress clung to my body and a thin clammy layer of sweat coated my body. I sat up in my bed breathing heavily and erratically. My palms gripped the sheets tightly as my eyes quickly scanned the room. My brain desperately trying to process what I had just experienced.

Once I realized it was just a bad dream I began to slowly calm down and feel my heart beat normalize. My grip on the sheets loosened and my body started to relax. I knew it was all a bad dream but it all felt so real. I felt as though the rain was really hitting my skin. Like I could feel each individual pinprick of wetness. The metallic scent of blood still lingered in my nose. I truly felt as though I was experiencing everything in my dream.

I didn't usually have dreams like this. Being in Faery must be taking a toll on me in more ways than I realized. I looked out my window and saw that the sun was high in the sky. I must have been asleep for a couple of hours.

I got up off the bed and felt my bare feet hit the cold stone floor. Treading lightly on my tip toes to the window. I peered out the frosty glass onto the blanketed snow-covered grounds. Far off in the distance, I could see the rear gate of the palace.

Nerves began to build up in my chest and I let out a large exhale, immediately I felt relief. The heat of my breath fogged the frosty window. I wiped away the fog from the window with my hand. I gave the gate one last good look.

The bedroom door creaked open and I immediately whipped around to see who it was. I relaxed when I saw that it was only Ella. She was carrying several things in her hands.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Don't worry about it, I am just feeling a little jumpy right now."

"Why is that?"

"Just a bad dream," I said dismissing the question. "What's in your arms?"

"Oh, Right," she said as if she had completely forgotten. "I snagged these for you. I figured it might come in handy on your trip back to the human world."She walked over to the bed emptying the contents of her arms onto it. I looked closer at the pile and saw that is was mostly clothing. Ella really had given this a lot of thought. It hadn't even crossed my mind what I would look like prancing around in some princess dress.

"I also got this for you as well." She reached into the pocket of her apron and pulled out a wad of bills. She held her hand out for me to grab them.

"Where on earth did you get so much money?"I asked.

"It's not mine, I kind of stole it sort of. They were the possessions of all the human servants." She said and trailed off a little before she picked up saying "I didn't think they would need them anymore."

"That is kind of morbid, but thank you anyways. I really do appreciate it."

"Hey now, you know I've got your back," She said mocking a very human accent. I couldn't help but fall back onto the bed in laughter. I had never seen her make a joke like that.

"I think you should talk like that all the time," I said in between fits of laughter. "I think it suits you."

"Okay, but on a more serious note, you are leaving tonight."

"Yeah I am," I said.

"Do you ever think you will be coming back to Faery?" I could see the look on her face. I knew she would miss me.

"I kind of get the feeling that my work is not done here yet," I said with a smile. "Though I don't know when I would even be able to come back. Or how I am going to tell everyone at home where I have been. How am I suppose to explain all of this," I said gesturing to everything around me.