Chapter 7 - The Deal

"Do you plan on talking to the prince today?" Ella asked as she helped me slip into a form-fitting silken pink dress. My dresses from the summer court contrasted with the dark and dreary colors that the winter court tended to favor. In other words, I stuck out like a sore thumb.

"Why would I do that?" I asked trying to avoid answering the question.

"You know why. Unless you are going to ask the king again then he is your best bet at getting home." She pulled out my white fur shawl and laid it on my shoulders.

"I know, I know. It's just that I don't want to be involved with anyone or have to owe him anything. I was warned not to make any deals." My voice came out breathy and exasperated.

"Your right. Bargains do not usually work out in favor of humans. Though you might have an advantage."

"How so?"

"Think about it, you are only half-human. Which means you are like the best of both worlds. You can lie, you are not bound by the same rules that fae are bound to. Most of all you can still use magic and glamour. "

"I can use magic," I asked clearly surprised. No one had told mentioned this to me before.

"You should be able to, I guess learning how to use it might be a little different for you. All fae are able to do it. Even those of us who are only half. "

"Could you teach me?"

"I don't think I am the right person to teach you. I can only do simple magic. Though the prince might be able to show you a thing or two."

"Here we go again." I rolled my eyes at her and turned away to examine my reflection in my dressing table mirror. Ella had curled my long golden hair so that it framed my face and hung down my back and around my ribs.

I had noticed that my appearance had changed a bit since being in Faery. My vibrant green eyes appeared bigger but my ears made the most dramatic change. They were long and pointy, not as long as most other fae. Maybe it was the human side that kept me looking somewhat normal. Ella grabbed one of the tiaras off the vanity and centered it on my head. She fixed it in place with a couple of pins. Her hands were fast and diligent.

"You know what I miss most about my home," I said looking at Ella through my vanity mirror. I had a huge smile on my face as I turned to look at her. "Music."

"Faery has music too."

"Not like the music we have. Your music puts people into trances. They will literally dance until they die."

Well I've heard there was a secret chordThat David played and it pleased the LordBut you don't really care for music, do you?Well it goes like this:The fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major liftThe baffled king composing Hallelujah

I sang as I danced around my room with a huge smile on my face. I spun around in circles on my tiptoes. Holding on to the bedposts as I skipped through the room.

"You are such a free spirit," she said shaking her head at me. "I have to go, duty calls. Make sure you talk to the prince." She said looking pointedly at me. "I mean it."

"I might," I said sticking my nose up in the air as I took another spin about the room.

I was in such a good mood today and I didn't understand why. I couldn't help but sing, skip, and 

dance through the chilly halls of the castle.

Well your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roofHer beauty and the moonlight overthrew yaShe tied you to her kitchen chairAnd she broke your throne and she cut your hairAnd from your lips she drew the Hallelujah