Blood (part 2)

Annabeth cocked her head to the side, deep in thought. To anyone else, it would look like she was immersed in her book. In reality, she couldn't stop staring at the word 'punk' being used as an insult, but ultimately making her think of nothing but Percy.

There were other 'scene' kids, or whatever they tended to call themselves, who attended McKinley High, but none of them had ever captivated her attention for more than a few moments. There was something about Percy-maybe the way his eyes glinted with rebellion every time a teacher ordered him around, maybe the way he walked with a unsure kind of confidence, maybe the way he didn't seem to be trying too hard. He seemed to be a natural at everything he did, and he did everything with a sense of genuity. It was an odd vibe, one she'd never gotten from a guy, but she had to admit that she liked it. A lot.

Wincing as she imagined her dad's reaction of her bringing Percy home and calling him her boyfriend, Annabeth decided to put things in perspective.

Her dad would never allow her to date someone with such... edge. She would probably end up being in a half-arranged marriage with a pre-med, Harvard-attending, sweater-vest-wearing boy with his hair gelled classily to the left. Oh, and to top it all off, he would have a perfect smile with blinding white teeth; nothing like his cute smile with the few crooked teeth on the bottom row. And never, ever, ever in a million years would her dad let her date a boy with piercings. Multiple piercings.

"Annabeth," Piper said from her side, having to slap her friend's book to gain attention.

"Hm? Yeah?"

"The male version of Avril Lavigne is walking this way."

Annabeth closed her book, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Avril Lavigne?"

"Her old stuff was better," a deep, smooth voice cut in. She heard the flick of a lighter, glancing up quickly to see Percy triggering the flame on and off. "Her new music seems very... try-too-hard pop. Styles do change, though. Gotta keep with the times."

"Right," the blond said, suppressing the need to adjust her shirt or take her hair down just to tie it back up. Pressing her bangs behind her ear, she cleared her throat. Beside her, Piper laughed lightly, but Annabeth looked to Percy. "Do you smoke?" He shook his head, still flicking the lighter on and off. "Why the lighter then?"

He grinned, pulling his bottom lip into his mouth and laughing lightly. His eyes were unfair as he said, "It makes me look cool."

It was far from the answer Piper was expecting, which resulted in a very unladylike snort from her closest friend. Clearing her throat to make up for Piper's lack of grace, Annabeth shot her a look and stared up at Percy. "So, did you need something, or...?"

He smiled at her-well, no, it wasn't really a smile, more of a smirk. It looked something close to sinful paired with his silver lip ring. "What? A guy can't talk to a girl without having some ulterior motive? Damn, have times changed." He glanced around the courtyard, sitting down in the grass before her.

"No, really, what do you need?" Piper asked, not really unkindly but not really in a friendly tone either. Annabeth watched Percy move his bracelets around, her eyes catching on a Paramore one. She loved Paramore.

Disclaimer: I do not claim any rights to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the Heroes of Olympus series, or any of the characters, songs, or bands mentioned.

;;;

Annabeth cocked her head to the side, deep in thought. To anyone else, it would look like she was immersed in her book. In reality, she couldn't stop staring at the word 'punk' being used as an insult, but ultimately making her think of nothing but Percy.