The Sadie Hawkins Dance

Percy didn't know if he was going to be asked or not. Girls were claiming guys left and right, and he might have seen a few glances tossed his way, but he wasn't sure.

See, Percy's school was having a Sadie Hawkins dance this weekend for a Student Council fundraiser. It was kind of like their winter formal, and since they were going to have a prom closer to graduation, the Student Council officers had decided to call it a Sadie Hawkins. The girls were supposed to ask the guys to this dance instead of the traditional guys asking girls thing. Percy wanted to go, but he had to be asked by someone. He couldn't just show up by himself like a loser.

And it was strange because he thought that he would have been one of the first guys to be claimed. He was pretty popular (if he had to say so) and most everybody liked him. He was captain of the swim team. He had girls lining up to date him (not that he would use that) and normally just one or two of his smiles would melt anybody that walked by him.

So why wasn't anyone asking him to the dance?

He sighed angrily and shut his locker, trying not to let his emotions slip into his walk. All he needed right now was more drama floating around the school hallway.

"You're giving yourself away, Jackson," someone said as they looped their arm through one of his.

Percy knew who it was immediately. He smiled, "Am not."

Annabeth Chase had been one of his best friends for a long time now. She lived next door to him, and they had been hanging out for as long as he could remember. Even though Percy had a huge circle of friends, he considered Annabeth to be the most important.

She laughed lightly as they continued their walk to class, "Oh please. I can see it now. 'Hi, my name is Percy Jackson, and I'm upset because girls aren't throwing themselves at me.'"

"I am not!" Percy huffed. "But seriously! Why hasn't anyone asked me yet?"

Right on cue, a group of girls passed Percy and Annabeth. He looked up at them hopefully, but they just cast their eyes to the ground and laughed quietly before breezing past them.

That was it! He had to find out what was going on around here.

Ω

"Is there something on my face? In my teeth? Do my clothes look stupid today? What about my hair?" Percy fretted.

He was sitting at his lunch table with a few of his guy friends from the swim team, and Percy was about to go crazy. Girls had been avoiding him all day, and now it seemed that everybody had a date to the Sadie Hawkins dance except for Percy.

Normally he didn't get so caught up in the social ladder, but it was making him upset that all of his friends were getting asked by pretty girls. Where was his date?

Jason rolled his eyes, "Dude, calm down. You look fine. Stop freaking out. All of the girls are probably thinking that someone already asked you."

"But no one has," Percy said with a sigh.

Leo Valdez fell down on the other side of the table. He was already laughing and smiling like crazy, so Percy knew that something mildly amusing must have happened. The dude laughed at everything.

"Guess what just happened to me!" He said excitedly, nearly knocking over Jason's drink.

"The principal expelled you for sexually harassing girls?"

Percy looked up to see Rachel and Annabeth both sitting down at their table. Annabeth claimed her usual seat at his right, and Rachel sat across from them. Percy thought it was pretty lame that they sat in the same seat every day, but the one time he had tried to sit in a different spot, his friends had just moved to another table.