04

Boston provided too many delights for Annika to think about Shivaay again. Within a few months she had made great friends, and settled into the busy life of college, focusing on her academics and occasionally going out to explore the city. It was on one such Sunday that she had to set out to roam around Boston with her friends, that she saw Shivaay again. He was seated in an outdoor café on the other side of the road with his own friends, laughing and talking. Annika wanted to hurriedly move away so as not to make awkward eye-contact, but too late, he had already seen her. He stilled for a moment, then looked like he was about to get up, but by the time he could make a decision, Annika had walked away.

Two days later, she got a text message from an unknown number.

Hey.

Who's this?

I thought you had my number saved?

Oh shit, Annika thought. Opening up the display picture, she saw that it was indeed him.

Oh, sorry. Actually, I lost all my contacts. What's up?

Ah, I see. Anyway, I'm celebrating my birthday next weekend at Marriot
Vacation Club Pulse.
Would be glad if you came :)

Annika groaned. His family had probably insisted he invite her, like her parents would have done.

Thanks for inviting, but honestly, it'd be awkward if I came, since
I wouldn't know anyone there.

I get it, but you can bring your friends as well.
It'll be quite a big party since it's my last year here,
so you can have fun with your own friends.

That seemed like too good of an opportunity to pass off.

...are you sure?

I am, Annika. Will text you the time and directions.
See you soon :)

For some reason, him saying her name, even if only on text, gave Annika a strange feeling in her stomach. She brushed it off and set off to tell her friends about the party.