13

They had been together for almost 7 months before the families finally found out. Shivaay had wanted to tell them long ago, but Annika was adamant and kept pushing it off. She wanted to get done with her master's program and land a proper, full-time job before telling everyone, especially her parents. However, they were unaware of the fact that both the families had suspected something for quite long, given that the two love-birds weren't very discreet about the secret smiles and winks they sent each other whenever the two families met. But it was on the occasion of Diwali that everything came out in the open. Years later, Annika would laugh about how it was on Diwali that she had met Shivaay, too.

The Trivedis had again gone to the Oberoi Mansion to celebrate this festival. In the last few months, the families had come closer, what with the children all grown up and good friends themselves. Annika had a great bond with Om, Rudra, and Priyanka, while Shivaay was the older brother Sahil never had. Everyone had been busy in the lawns, burning firecrackers and taking pictures, when Shivaay had held Annika's hand and dragged her to one corner of the garden, out of everyone's eyesight.

"Someone looks gorgeous," He mumbled, snaking his arms around her waist that was left bare by her pink and silver shaded lehenga. Shivaay had helped her choose the outfit and when she had walked into the mansion, he had looked at her dazed for a solid few minutes.

"Shivaay, what are you doing—someone will see us!" Annika whisper-yelled, trying to pry his wandering hands away.

"Everyone's too busy," Shivaay said, burying his nose in her hair. "I want to celebrate with you. Light diyas together without worrying about who finds out. Remember how six years back, I saved your dupatta from catching fire? That was when you fell in love with me, wasn't it?" He asked with a wink. Annika hit his chest.

"It wasn't, Oberoi. And anyway, I've told you. I don't want anyone to find out just now. My parents aren't entirely open about dating and they'll probably force us to get married if they found out."

"Then we'll get married," Shivaay shrugged. Annika glared at him. Sighing, Shivaay released her and they made their way to where everyone was. It seemed that everyone had made their way inside the mansion, and when Shivaay and Annika walked in, they saw everyone sitting in the hall, looking at them as if they had been waiting for the two. Annika realized that she was still holding Shivaay's hand, and quickly released it. But the way everyone was looking at them, the knowing smiles on their faces, Annika knew. The hide-and-seek game was over. 

--

only two more drabbles left in this series!