09

Convocation day was an amalgamation of tears and smiles and promises to keep in touch even if they would all be in different parts of the world. Annika had spent the last four years of her life with these people, her home away from home, people who she laughed with on good days and cried her eyes out with on bad ones. But they had finally done it. The class of 2019, graduates of Boston University.

"Annika let's take a picture in front of this statue!"

Amidst the loud crowd, her mom's voice was still very recognizable. Her parents and brother had flown to Boston to be with their daughter on this proud day and seeing that this was their first time in the city, they were buzzing with excitement. Asking one of the students in the black robe and graduation hat to take their picture, the family started making their way towards one of the buffet tables.

"Shivaay must be here soon," Annika's father suddenly said, looking at his watch. Annika stilled mid-way in between taking a bite of a croissant in her mouth.

"Shivaay?" She hadn't heard this name in a very long time. Although it had taken a while for Annika to stop thinking about him, college life had grown busier and left little space in her mind for Shivaay.

"Yes. He's in Boston for the summer, for some business work. I asked him to come over to your graduation."

"You should have asked me," Annika grumbled. Her father kept a hand on top of her head.

"He helped you when you first arrived, Anni. What's the harm if he comes?"

There was no harm, of course. Annika just hoped that seeing him didn't bring back old feelings.