05

The party was indeed huge, as Shivaay had said it would be. It was on an open rooftop, and was the epitome of an American college party, with loud music and a dance floor and a bar on the side. There were so many people, it took Annika almost 10 minutes to find Shivaay.

"Hey, happy birthday," She breathed out, thrusting forward the neatly wrapped gift box she had brought him. After hours of searching, she had gotten him a brown leather watch. She knew he would never wear it, given how he probably had many branded, expensive watches in his collection anyway, but she didn't mind. It was her job to just give a gift.

"Thanks," He smiled, and Annika was taken aback because this was the first time she had seen him smile. He looked nice, wearing a casual black shirt with formal pants. His stubble had grown and made him look more mature. Annika couldn't help notice, once again, how handsome he was. They stood awkwardly for a while, unsure of what to say. Shivaay was about to say something when a friend came to drag him away.

"Have fun, okay?" He told her before leaving. Annika only nodded before making way towards her friends. This was the first proper party they were attending outside of college in a while, and they made the most of it. Annika didn't interact with Shivaay for the entire night after that, except for giving a small smile when their eyes met as he was cutting the cake. She wanted to say goodbye to him before leaving, but he was too busy with his friends, and she was getting late. Annika really thought this was the last time she was seeing him, at least in Boston. She was okay with that. Regardless of the fact that being around him had started producing small butterflies in her stomach, he was still much older and would be out of here in a few months. Annika could deal with this stupid little crush that would go away soon enough.