.14.

Reggie and I met up at this old spot by Sweet Water River that we used to come to when we were kids. The air was just as soft and gentle to my skin as it always had been. Our little clubhouse still stood, and I was glad that it wasn't damaged or infested with bugs. We adjusted it as we grew, so it always became with us. It looked like a mini house at this point and was still just as cozy as it always had been. As far as I remembered from memory, anyways.

"So why did you want to meet up here of all places? Why not Pop's?" Reggie asked.

"Because we haven't been here since-"

"No, Ana, I have been here. I come here every day. But, you stopped after 8th grade. You got busy with your mom and dad and church and-"

"I'm sorry, Reggie. I am. But, I wanted to come here just to hang out and be with one of my best friends."

"Huh."

"What, Reggie?"

"Best friends. Haven't heard those words come from your mouth in a while. Sounds nice to be noticed after all this time." He smiled at me, and that usually meant he forgave me. "Are we going to go?" He asked, pointing to the house. 

"Why the hell not!"

We walked in, and it was defiantly different. I could tell that he was here every day because there were fresh flowers and everything here was clean. He cleaned and dusted it. Wow! He didn't ever leave this place to turn to garbage. The flowers were a little something that I had always requested when I still came here. I hated having it look like children played there, so I always brought flowers to make it more sophisticated. I don't know why I thought that would make a difference, but it truly made it look more alive after all these years of being away.

"I know you, and I know you just don't want to hang out. What's up?"

"Everything! My dad is a drug dealer, and my mom is dead. You and my boyfriend hate each other. But," I held my finger up to silence whatever he was going to say, "He suggested for me to meet up with you since your the only one I ever talked to about my parents. Because he doesn't care that you guys had a feud, he knows I need my best friend, and he decided he could put aside his hate for you so I could get some relief. Can you please just do the same, Reggie?"

"Ana, he is a Serpent!"

"And that matters why? Archie went over to the Southside and pulled a gun on my boyfriend. I still talk to him and walk with him to school. He didn't leave me in the hospital even though my Serpent boyfriend was there. Reggie, I was hurt when you left. I felt like my brother walked out on me in my weakest time. All I want is for everyone to get along, and I know that isn't always possible, but can you please try to be civil with him for me. At least just for tomorrow. I need one normal day with no drama. Can you please do that for me?"

He looked at me, and I could tell he wanted with all his being to say no, but he agreed. "Under one condition."

"Anything!"

"We sit together tomorrow for lunch without your boyfriend. Just you and I. Like old times."

"That's it? Done." We hugged and sat on the brand new sofa that Reggie just bought. It was so comfortable that I never once thought about getting up to leave. We talked about how Jason and Cheryl could have possibly had something for each other. Like a weird twincest thing. He opened up to me about how he kind of had an idea for Roni but knew she was with Archie, and he didn't want to lose a friend for the girl he likes. I talked to him about the gauntlet and about what the classes were like at Southside High. I told him about what Pea and I saw and how caring he was for me after. "I feel like you guys could get along if you tried. He is human too, and it doesn't make a difference what side he lives on because it doesn't change what species he is."

"But it changes who he is a Serpent." I couldn't disagree with that because I knew all too well that when you grow up in a gang, and that is the only family you have, you tend to do the things that aren't the greatest. But, I knew Pea and Toni and Fangs and Jug. They aren't like Ghoulies. They won't hurt others for their gain. That's what I loved about the Serpents. I just couldn't bring myself to admit to Reggie of all people that my boyfriend could potentially do something that might put me in harm's way because that is all it takes to light the match that will burn down the forest.