Dark Times

Chapter Twenty-Eight

We said our goodbyes to The Elders and The Moon Goddess apparated us back to Midnight Warrior.

"What about your car?" Ian asked.

"It couldn't be at a safer place. I'll go back for it some other time. It's almost Sunrise, we don't have a lot of time left."

He nodded and slung his arm around me as we walked up the stairs into the infirmary where Rose lay draped over moms corpse.

"She hasn't let anyone get near enough to sedate her. We need to get to your mother Alpha." Said the concerned pack doctor. I nodded at her.

"Give us a moment."

"Yes Alpha." She bowed and left, the two nurses followed and shut the door.

"I will not let them take her Adeline." Rose whispered without looking up.

"Rosaline." Said Ian and she immediately looked up, her teary gaze widened and she ran over to him. She hugged him tightly as she sobbed uncontrollably.

"Shh, it's okay sweetie. Everything is going to be okay. I promise, mom is in a better place. She wanted to be with dad, she knew she was going to be in pain without him."

"She's - so - selfish." She sobbed "How could she leave her children? We need her."

My eyes watered and I choked back a sob as I listened to my sister cry.

"She left because she knew that you would be okay. That you would both be okay." He said as he looked back at me. Rose slightly lifted her head and her lip quivered. "Come here" he said and I broke down as I hugged them.

We both clung to him desperately, needing our big brother to comfort us one last time.

"I love you both so much. I wish that I could stay here to protect you forever, but I can't."

"No" Rosaline sobbed "Please don't leave us. Please."
He pursed his lips in sadness "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. The sun will rise in a few minutes, we need to leave before the moon completely disappears or else we'll miss our window. Mom knew that she could leave in peace because the both of you were strong enough to survive without her. Don't be mad at her, it's something that she needed to do. Please don't hold any anger in your heart. Promise me. Both of you."

"I promise" I said as I wiped the tears from my face.

"I promise." Rose sniffled as she snuggled into his chest.

"Ian." Said Rochelle with a sad look.

He nodded and squeezed us one more time before he let go and stepped away. He pulled The Moon Goddess into his arms and smiled at us "Be good."

He said before a beam of light shot down and surrounded them. He waved one last time as they shot up into the light and vanished.

"I'm scared Adeline." She whispered as the doctor came in and wheeled our mother away. I sighed and hugged her.

"I know. But he's right, we can do this. We still have each other. I promise you that things are going to change. I am going to fix the mess that dad made."