8. Uncle J

Miley POV

“Miley, I’ve missed that pretty face of yours.” Fran says, walking into the lobby where I’ve been chilling with One Direction.

“The pretty face that makes you money.” I joke.

“Now I have Matt, so I think I’m okay.”

“Nice comeback. Speaking of Matt, where is that kid?”

“He’s with Justin. They’re working on a song together.”

“What?”

“Yeah, Justin likes his voice.”

“Justin?” Harry pipes.

“Justin Timberlake.” I say, “Old friend of my dad’s.”

“You know him?”

“Yeah, Fran, which studio?”

“5.” She says.

“I’m gonna say hi. I’ll be back. Stay!” I say.

“We aren’t dogs.” Niall retorts.

“I know I just don’t want you to wander off.” I roll my eyes, and walk off.

“Studio 1, 2,3, studio 4, and the lucky number 5.” I say approaching the door. I enter the recording room to find Jeffery, the “record guy. He records all of my stuff; he’s the best, “Hey stranger.”

“Miley, oh my god it’s so good to see you.” He engulfs me into a hug.

“Right back at ya.” I gaze through the viewing window at Justin and Matt, singing, “May I?” I ask referring to the volume.

“Of course.” He replies. I turn it up.

“Wow, they’re good.”

“Yeah, Matt wrote it.”

“Really?”

“Sure did. They’re almost done.”

“Cool, I wanna talk to JT.”

“And all along I thought you were here to see your favorite recorder.”

“You have high hopes.” I joke. He wipes a fake tear, and I burst out laughing. Just then, Justin and Matt enter.

“What’s so funny?” Matt asks.

“Nobody loves Jeffery.” Jeffery says.

“No! I was teasing Jeffery. Little drama queen.” I add.

“Is that my little Miler?” Justin asks, looking at me.

“No it’s your big Miler.”

“You’ve certainly grown up.”

“You make it sound like we haven’t seen each other in forever.”

“It feels like forever.”

“How do you know each other? Just through your dad?” Matt asks.

“Matt, Justin is my dad’s brother, and sorta my uncle.” I reply.

“I’m still your uncle no matter what.” Justin says.

“I know.”

“Last time I checked you were living in London with your brother. What the hell are you doing here?”

“We’re here for the summer.”

“At the house?”

“Yeah.”

“Maybe I’ll stop by sometime.”

“If you wanna see them then you can come to the lobby.”

“They’re here?”

“Sure are.”

“That sounds good.” Justin says. He swings me up onto his back, and we race down the hall to the lobby. I slide down, and face my brother.

“Hello, Justin.” Liam greets.

“Hello.” Justin replies

“I have a question for you. How do you know Miley?” Louis asks

“I’m Mark Chandler’s brother.” Suddenly, I feel all eyes on me, but I look at the ground.

“You never mentioned that to us, any of us.” Louis says.

“Maybe because I didn’t want to bring back the pain of losing him.” I feel a tear escape down my cheek, but I quickly wipe it away. Everyone remains silent. Tears keep coming, and I don’t stop them. I race down the hall to my room, slam the door, and lock it. I walk over to my songbooks. I take the oldest one off the shelf, and start flipping through the pages. I take in all the memories. A note slips out, and I grab it. Miley is written on it. I open it to reveal a letter.

Dear Miley,

I hope you find this note one day. You’re growing up to be such a beautiful singer and dancer. I love you. I always have, and I always will. I know you’ve wandered who your real family is. I hope to one day be like family. Just never forget what really matters… what’s in your heart. You are becoming quite the artist, but don’t let that blind you from what you feel. Fame is great, but family is better. Don’t let go of that. Just don’t hold on too tight. You need to be able to say goodbye. Saying goodbye to things is hard, but I know you you’re strong. You’ll fight it. I want you to stay strong. Be my little warrior.

Love,

Daddy MC J

I finished the letter, and took in the content. I kept trying to let go, but I couldn’t. I need more time. Suddenly, there’s a knock on the door. I almost forgot that I ran off.

“Who’s there?”  I ask.

“Justin.”

“So you were the guinea pig.”

“The lucky guinea pig.” I smiled, and opened the door, “Are you okay?”

“I think I will be.”

“It’s getting late, the boys want to head back.”

“Alright. Bye Justin.”

“Don’t be a stranger.”

“I won’t.”