Ninth

Harry had told Hermionie everything.

"He told you he loved you? Come on, Harry, you're focusing on the wrong things. Plus, we're not whispering about some conspiracy. Jeez." She laughed, but Harry's heart was still thrown around in his chest, making the emptiness ring.

"Okay."

Words inside his head were so messed up even he couldn't tell what they were trying to say. Everything so messed up all the time, all the wrong times.

Not that he had a choice.

"Come on, Harry! He loves you. Did you even...." She was practically bouncing up and down, and Harry tried to smile and sort through his emotions for happiness.

There wasn't any. Only a type of surprise.

The Dursleys had been shitting on him for his whole life, unlovable Harry. How could he be loved by anyone at that point, after all those seeming truths?

Hermionie left.

Harry laid down on the couch on the common room, and only a few students were studying on the other side of the room, so they didn't complain.

If the room was full, he doubted anyone would complain. Being..... This was terrible. Being The Boy Who Lived. Would he live through this, though? Harry was not invincible to hurt, or jealousy, or anxiety, or sadness. He wasn't, and he wanted to scream that so everybody got the message.

Instead, he whispered it to himself and nothing happened.

I love you. That's what Draco said. Maybe Harry couldn't fall in love, maybe something was wrong with him for not saying it back, maybe this was what falling out of love was. Maybe he loved the thrill of something forbidden that would never happen, but now....

Harry brought a hand to his eyes.

He was a mess.

Nothing was clear. His thoughts were so messed up each one ran into another with bumping and turning and fighting chaos. Only one thing stood out. He wanted this to stop.

He just wanted clear thoughts and walking to breakfast in the normal trio. He just wanted his normal hogwarts days, but with a little.... Draco.

Was that too much to ask?

Maybe it was.

Maybe his dreams would be better than this.

Harry closed his eyes and slept.