Chapter Ten: Medusa

"Are you sure you want to do this, Varrian? I honestly don't want to fight you."

I shout to Varrian, stalking in front of him, not bothering to get close to him. I really and truly don't want to fight him. He's a warrior, and I'm just a monster. I base my fights by relying too much on my supernatural stone gaze, while he can batter and beat, cut and tear. I sigh softly as he answers.

"Fucking fight me, you coward." He growls, getting into his fighting stance, his sword in front of him, waiting for any sound to catch his ears.

I sigh and he turns to me, growling. I stay in place as he charges me, and I barely miss him sharpened sword tip. He shatters one of my stone bodies, and groans as he hits the ground. I wait until he gets up and while I would like to help him get up, I honestly don't want him to hurt me and I know he wants to murder me. I hear Asta gasp.

"M-Medusa?" I hear her whimper, and I chirp in reply. "I'm fine, Asta." I turn back to Varrian as he gets up, growling deeper and I position myself to punch him when he charges me again.

"You're like a bull in a China shop, Varrian. Sloppy and aggressive." I mock him, unintentionally, as he charges me again. I growl softly as his sword catches my upper arm, not slicing too deeply, but still enough to bleed and I punch him in the shoulder, causing him to drop his sword. I hiss a bit harshly and step away from him so he can pick his sword back up. Just because the wound would heal quickly doesn't make it hurt any less. I groan, the blood staining the side of my dress.

I was too focused on healing my wound that I didn't hear him charge me again, stabbing his sword completely through my shoulder, puncturing my lung and easily slicing through my body. I gasp, gargling blood. My eyes roll back in my head as the blood escapes me, but I manage to pull myself off of his sword, since he's shocked that he actually hit me.

"I didn't think you were that weak, monster..." I chuckle, a bloody, gargled sound. "I told you..." I gasp, trying to breathe with one lung while the other one tries to heal. I spit some blood on the cave floor, trying to breathe.

"I don't fight if I don't have to, Varrian. That's how I've lived so long..." I gasp hard, in so much pain. I hear Asta get up from the throne seat. I can hear her erratic heartbeat as she comes over to us. I'm on my knees on the ground beneath Varrian. I could get away from him if I absolutely had to, but at this moment I can't seem to get my legs to move.

"Medusa!?" I hear her yell. "Medusa!?" She yells again, getting closer to us.

"I'm fine." I gargle, the blood dribbling down my chin now.

"MEDUSA!" she screams, getting me and laying atop me, my blood soaking her dress. I slump, groaning hard as she touches me, laying across me. "Oh, gods, Medusa. What did he do to you..!?" she whispers, erratic and scared. I chuckle, my blood splattering my chin, the front of my dress, and the floor.

"I'll heal, Asta. Get away from here. Varrian is out to kill me." I tell at her, while the man I'm talking about has raised his sword to lop off my head.

"Ready to die, monster?" he asks, rhetorically. I rasp a chuckle, Asta turning to face him, even though she can't see him.

"Varrian, you selfish bastard! Leave her alone! You hurt her!" From the sound of her voice, he stiffens and drops his sword, dropping to his knees.

"But.. Asta..." he murmurs, scooting himself closer to us, while my lung mends itself together and I scrunch my eyes in pain.