Chapter Fourteen: Medusa

"What is bothering you, Medusa?"

I sighed softly. So much was on my mind at this moment. The cause of my curse, the reason I was living in this damned cave. The reason why I had so many stone statues in my cave. The reason I had people trying to kill me at every turn. I looked over at Asta and smiled softly. She had no idea what she was missing, and I didn't want to be the one to tell her, but I felt like I had to. If not for me, for us. Or whatever future she sees for us.

"Asta..." I waited until I sat on the bed, a few feet away from her. I sighed again and she looked in my direction. "What is it you see for us in the future? You're still young."

She started to protest at my comment, but I placed my hand on her lips, cherishing how soft and plump they are.

"I'm sure you want to have a family. Settle down with a nice man that can provide for you. Take care of the house and the garden." I shake my head. "Have some farm animals. Maybe start a small business that you and your husband can run when you feel the need."

I stopped speaking, seeing that she was crying now. I moved my hands to her face and started rubbing her tears away, while cooing.

"Asta, darling. Don't cry... Shh... Shh..."

I comforted her until she stopped crying. Her sobs subsided and she scooted closer to me, leaning her head on my shoulder, sparks running through my body. I sighed again. I couldn't deny my attraction to her if I tried.

"Do you want me to leave?"

If I wasn't a godly monster, I wouldn't have heard her. I leaned my head back, looking at the ceiling.

"Honestly, Asta... I don't know what I want. I don't want to ask you to stay only for you to be miserable. But I don't want to tell you to leave if being here makes you happy." I didn't want to tell her that I did have quite a crush on her, too. Although, with her enhanced hearing, I'm sure she can hear how fast my heart is beating with her touching me.

"Can I stay?"