Chapter 10: Parental Figures

Levi's POV

Hanji's baby bump grew a big as 3 months passed by. How stupid I was. I walked into the apartment, expecting Hanji to be passed out on the couch, and I was making a quick joke. Little did I know was that there was unexpected guests there: her parents.

"Hey Hanji! Better not be asleep or else!" I smiled softly as I stepped into the apartment. When there was an absence of laughter, I thought that something was wrong. "Hanji?" When I looked up towards the living room area, two elderly people were staring at me. "U-Uh..."

Hanji smiles nervously, making her way towards me. "A bit of a bad impression, Levi..." She cleared her throat and pushed me in front. "Mom, Dad, this is Levi."

When they narrowed their eyes at me... I felt an overwhelming fear hanging over me. Was this how guys like me felt when they met their girlfriend's parents? Shows that I am human too. "Hi." I say, not knowing what else to say.

Her father grunted, looking away. "He's smaller than I expected."

"Dad!" Hanji shouts out, looking away as well with embarrassment. "S-Sorry, Levi... I didn't exactly explain your appearance..."

"That's fine. I get it all the time." I chuckled softly, trying to ease the tension here. "Hey, again, I'm Levi. Sorry about that earlier... it was a joke. I tease Hanji about sleeping in too much... and that's what I did. Once more, I'm sorry..." I say, hoping it would go away, but I know that it wouldn't. They would hold onto it for a long time.

Hanji's mother jumped and smiled softly, "It's alright. Inside jokes, am I right?" She laughs nervously. "I'm Kallie, and- sweetheart, introduce yourself."

Her father grunted, scowling with piercing brown eyes. "Andrew."

*   *   *

It was dinner, and we were eating out. Hanji and Kallie were too busy talking to each other about the baby... and Andrew and I took turns exchanging looks at our beloved. We never uttered a word to each other... but I tried my best to ensure that my relationship with Hanji was "perfect" in her parents' eyes.

Once Hanji and Kallie left for a bit for the bathrooms, Andrew sighed and glared at me. "Okay, Mr. Ackerman... think this is a game to me?"

"What's a game?" I glared back, trying to study him... but no such luck.

"A game of hiding. Did Hanji ever tell you what I was?" Andrew never gave me the chance to respond to him at all. "I'm a detective in the police force. For my daughter, I checked your background... and unsealed that one record. Farlan... Isabel... that incident. Paid to kill... does she know?"

I scowled softly, "I have told her... it's not a game. She understands me..."

"Never lied to her?"

"Why should I?" I continued to scowl at him. Was he really this protective? Well... I guess it is normal. After all, I accidentally got her daughter pregnant and helping her raise the child... I needed to prove to him that I deserved to be with Hanji. "There's no reason to lie."

He chuckles softly, "I like the way you act. Hanji doesn't mind... she's unique like that. If something bad happens to her, I want you to take action. Use your background and protect her. I'll do anything I can to get it off your record... but I can't ever forgive you if something bad happens. I swear it."

I nodded, agreeing with him. If something bad happened to her, I could never forgive myself... I won't ever.

"So from this... I'll give my blessing. I approve."