One

1

    Guess whose birthday's coming soon?  Cleo's face is painted with excitement as she claps her hands while bumping up and down on her seat. She looks like a kid who just got her very first toy.

   Let me guess, This time, Ivan, who's sitting beside me answers while tapping his jaw with his index finger, like he's really thinking about it. He feigns me a look of innocence.  Oh I know! It's you babe, he leans towards me and nuzzles my neck. I flinch a little because I feel his rough stubble on my skin.

    Cleo playfully throws him the chips she is eating. Some hit him square on the face. "Okay, lover boy. Stop. You're grossing me."

    My best friend obviously hates PDA's, and I couldn't thank her enough. I also don't like it when Ivan's getting too clingy and all.

    We occupy one of the booths in this small diner, where we always hang out. This meet up is supposed to be a group study. But it ends up like a game plan for my birthday. Well, what do I expect?

    Of all people, my best friend, Cleo, is the most excited about my upcoming birthday. Apparently, she's even more excited than me. She's been planning the whole thing from the very beginning like it's hers, when in fact, she just thrown out her own party a few months ago.

    For sure, Ivan is just drawn into this because he thinks it's his responsibility as my boyfriend.  I don't expect him to do so. I'm not the biggest fan of celebrating birthdays anyway.

    I shake my head in mock surrender and drag my eyes back to what I'm reading while both of them continue to throw snarky comments at each other. I'm used to them being this way. I should be thankful that they get along pretty well, but sometimes, having the two of them on my plate can get a bit out of hand.

     Really, Elle? You don't even have anything to say? she says in disbelief, not a few moments later. I guess I'm back at being the apple of her eye.

     Like what? I ask dryly, eyes still focus on my notes.

     Like maybe, yay! I'm so excited?  she demonstrates in a shrieking voice while her hands were waving up in the air. Good thing, there's only a few people here during this time of the day, because having a crowd see me endure this conversation is just too much for today.

    I raise my head and throw her an are-you-kidding-me-right-now look. She's very much aware that getting excited on my birthday is the last thing I would do. I'm more than glad that Ivan seems oblivious about it. I know I have to tell him at some point, But I'm really not ready to spill the reason to him why I dread my own birthday. I can't even see myself doing it. 

    You know what, we should start planning, she continues, implying that she won't budge with my lack of cooperation. First up, we should think of your theme.

    I heave a sigh, this time giving her my full attention. I don't know... There's just so much going on. I stall. I mean... I'm still doing a lot of stuffs for the year end party, not to mention Christmas is just around the corner. Besides my birthdays still 2 months away, I explain, hoping she'll understand my point.

     But we're already ba-haynd and its not just a birthday. It's your eighteenth birthday, she puts an emphasis on the last words, as if I need to be reminded that it's my birthday that's at stake here.