Chapter One- The Reaping

The morning of the Reaping, I woke early. I snuck out of my house queitly, so not to wake my newborn baby brother, snoozing in his crib. I put my only dress on, white with blue flowers, and my blue pumps. I tie my long brown hair in a tight bun and leave the house.

'Valerie!' I hear behind me. I turn and see Alexis smiling at me, his curly blonde hair shimmering in the sunlight. 'You scared?'

'Petrified' I say laughing 'Come on, I want to get breakfast.'

Two hours later the Square is filling up, and I see my parents waving at me. I wave back.

'Wonder who's going in this year?' Alexis says, looking at the crowd. I don't answer. I look up at his face and see worry furrowing his brow.

'It won't be you.' I say.

'I'm not worried about me.' He sighed, looking down. 'I'm worried about you.'

'I can take care of myself you know.'

'I'm not worried about that. I've seen what the games do to people. And I just-' he cuts off, and then he does the last thing I expect him to do. He kisses me.

'Just in case.' He whispers, and walks towards the seventeen year old section.

For a moment I stand dazed, untill I walk towards my own section, sixteen year olds.

'Welcome! Welcome! Welcome to the 66th Annual Hunger Games!' Hestia Ricca comes out on stange, wearing a ridiculous pink leopard print neck-to-toe jumpsuit with an even pinker curly wig. 'Hear we have a special video all the way from the glorious Capitol itself!' The video plays, I'm not paying attention, my mind is still trying to make sense of the kiss.

'Wow! Wasn't that just fantastic!' she seems to be clapping wildly. 'Well then, let's get down to business. The time is here to annouce a courageous young man and women to compete in this years Hunger Games. Alright, ladies first!' she walks over to huge bowl full to the brim of names. She reaches her hand into the ball, and snatches a small slip of paper.

'And District Two's girl tribute for this year is.... Valerie Ravenwood!' For a second I'm not able to make sense of what she said, but then I realise, I'm going into the arena. I mount the stage, a mask of indifference on my face.

"You have to make sure you don't look scared. You have to make sure you look bored, happy even." I think to myself

I give a little smirk when I get to the stage . I hope the fear doesn't show in my eyes.

'Now time for the boys,' I watch as she reaches into the boys bowl. I search the crowd for Alexis's golden hair. But soon, I don't have to.

'Alexis Bloodwell!'

"What?"I think "There has to be some mistake. No. No. Not this. Anything but this."

Alexis makes his way to the stage, his face showing no emotion.

'Oh, isn't this just wonderful! Now shake hands, go on don't be shy!' We turn towards eachother and I can see the pain in his evergreen eyes. We shake hands. When we turn back to the stage, we give our most vicious and mysterious smiles.

'Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds, be ever in your favour.'