Action (part 3)

I'm alive!! So so so so soooo sorry about my disappearance you guys! I've seen all your sweet comments, and kind requests to update and i FINALLY found time to do so!! This is kind of short, and rushed, but i hope you enjoy!! 

They left the mall in a stylish flurry of overflowing bags of male clothing. Aeropostale, Hollister, a series of different department stores, and several small boutiques, Bucky and Steve had spent nearly half their day getting Bucky a whole new wardrobe.

Part of which he had already changed into, a nice fitting pair of dark jeans, black Vans, and a loose fitting gray V-neck which showed off just enough of Bucky's collarbones to make a few girls they passed, choke on their words. Bucky had also gotten a soft and light cotton jacket, which he wore to cover his arm. Steve had also encouraged Bucky to get a pair of sunglasses, aviator style like Sam's. Bucky liked how he looked, and so did Steve.

When they arrived at the hospital, ready for their appointment with Barnesy's son. Bucky looked like some sort of model, and the tall, broad shouldered blond next to him just made them an even more convincing couple. Steve and Bucky were both harboring their feelings, neither one was willing to admit their obvious attraction to the other, despite their long lived history.

So when the sharp dressed man who Steve knew by the name of "Mr. Braxton" walked down the hallway toward the room which Steve and Bucky were waiting outside of, Steve was the first to hold out his hand to greet the man. 

"You are, Mr. Rogers? and Mr. Barnes?" Braxton said, a peculiar look in his eyes as he said their names together and shook Steve's hand. Steve didn't give him a single moment to try and process it, before he started speaking. 

"Yes, I'm Steven Rogers and this is my boyfriend of many years, James Barnes." At that moment, after Bucky retracted his hand from Braxton's firm handshake, Steve gripped his hand and smiled sweetly at him. Steve turned to Braxton just as Bucky's face began to heat up, a faint blush spreading over his cheeks. He wanted to punch himself in the face, trained killers dont blush when their friend holds their hand!! Well, trained killers dont usually hold their friends hand in the first place. Did that make it okay to blush? 

Bucky didn't realize that he was too deep in thought to hear Steve telling Mr. Braxton about the supposed 'accident'. 

So when Steve gently released Bucky's hand and moved to open the door to Barnesy's room, Bucky's heart skipped a beat. Steve went in the room first, Mr. Braxton followed behind him, and Bucky trailed at the end, his heart pounding in his chest as he watched. Barnesy was seated in his bed, reading a book, and he turned his head when Steve and Bucky entered, but he didn't greet the two familiar faces. Barnesy's eyes landed on the one between them, who still didn't seem to realize that the old man in front of him was the one he had known from so many years ago. Barnesy put the book down slowly, his eyes avoiding the watchful gazes of the three other men. 

"Boys." Barnsey said, his voice wavering uncertainly. He looked back up at them, and then Mr. Braxton dropped his briefcase and his jaw fell. Steve and Bucky turned and looked at the man, noticing how his eyes were welling up with tears and his hands were shaking. 

"Mr. Braxton?" Steve asked quietly. Braxton ignored him, and walked over to his father's bedside. Barnesy was looking at his son, tears already rolling down his face as he remembered his young face.

"You... you're my- my dad." Braxton's voice broke, and then he sat onto the bed beside his father and let himself cry.

"Yeah, kid. I am." Barnesy smiled, his eyes still filled with tears as he reached out to embrace his son who was now sobbing into his palms. 

Steve looked pleased, like a father at a wedding sort of pleased. He looked like he was on the verge of tears himself, and Bucky had to lightly tap his arm to get his attention. 

"You okay, Stevie?" Bucky asked. He didn't understand why he said Stevie. The name just held a certain amount of... familiarity. Steve looked stunned when Bucky said that, but his shock slowly melted into joy and he smiled widely and allowed the tears in his eyes to roll onto his cheeks.

"Yeah. I'm good, Buck." He replied, before turning back to Barnesy and his son. 

By now, Braxton had let himself lean into his father's chest and cry. Barnesy was holding his son's head like a child and crying almost as much. The whole sight was touching. When the two had finally composed themselves enough to speak, Braxton began asking his father questions.

"Where have you been for the past 10 years, dad? You disappeared... and I thought you were dead." Braxton was genuinely concerned, his eyes were still red from all the tears he shed before but now he was sitting upright and determined to get answers from his ill fallen father.

"I left because I had too. You were better off without me trying to take care of you, I was a horrible man once your mother passed because she was the only thing keeping me sane. I tried so hard for you, but it wasn't working. I left because I wanted to protect you, not hurt you." Barnesy said. He looked hurt, and scared, but underneath all the negative emotions, Steve and Bucky knew he was relieved to see his son again. 

The two continued a long conversation, eventually Steve and Bucky explained the whole plot briefly to the baffled lawyer. Who thanked the two numerous times, and then immediately agreed to pay for his father's medical bills and even offer a small sum of money the two who helped bring them together again. Steve kindly denied, but Braxton insisted and wrote the two (who he still thought were a real, legitimate, couple because of the way Bucky gazed at Steve) a check for $1,000.  Steve felt bad, but accepted it anyways. Braxton filled out the papers with the hospital, but had to leave a short while after because of another appointment he needed to be at. He said goodbye to his father, thanked Steve and Bucky, and left. 

Steve and Bucky also had to leave Barnesy now, because visiting hours were over. Barnesy thanked Bucky a few hundred times, and nodded to Steve who understood that all those thank you's were directed at him as well.  

And so, Steve and his metal-armed, not-boyfriend, left the hospital with the check in his pocket and a smile on his face as he walked beside Bucky like old times again.