Chapter 7

His beautiful eyes looked up beseechingly into her face as she entered the bedroom. It seemed like hours since she had dismissed him. His mouth fell open and he waited, not daring to breathe. She had made her decision.

She opened her arms to him.

‘Come along, then.’ she said.

‘Thank you, God.’ he whispered and ran to her and enveloped her in his arms, nearly knocking her over in his haste and need. He cried and cried as she rocked him.

‘I promise. I promise….’ the words tumbled out in a rush.

‘Hush now. We’ll have no promises that might get broken. Deeds, not words, Jonathon.’ She cupped his face in her hands and lifted it away and looked into his tear filled eyes. He nodded, lips trembling too much to speak. She caressed his cheek that she had slapped so hard and saw a bruise beginning to shadow it. He turned his face and kissed her palm.

‘You… you shouldn’t hurt your hand on me.’ he stuttered. ‘I’ll get you a big stick to beat me with.’

‘Shhh. Shhh.’ she soothed. ‘You’re going to behave yourself.’ she reminded. He nodded several times.

‘Yes ma’am’ he said, a form of respect he had learned on his frequent stays in the States and which he now accorded to any woman he believed worthy of it.

‘Am I forgiven?’ he asked earnestly.

‘I’m very hurt and very disappointed Jonathon. You’ve let me down badly. You’ve let yourself down.’ she drove her message home.

‘Ohhh.’ he moaned, her words were worse than any blow and he had waited and hoped that she would relent. She cuddled him close.

‘But I’m not going to punish you any further,’ she said. ‘You’re punishing yourself. I forgive you. I will always forgive you, but you mustn’t use that as a licence to go on doing things that need forgiveness. You are so very, very dear to me, Jonathon. Please don’t abuse my love for you in that way.’

‘Oh thank you darling Bea.’ he murmured and lifted her hands to his lips and kissed them. ‘I will be better. I will.’ he promised determinedly. He held her close and she could feel him trembling from head to toe.

‘I think you had better have a little rest, you’re exhausted.’ He allowed her to lead him to the bed and she helped him undress and get into his pyjamas and crawl beneath the sheets. He wanted her to lie with him.

‘I’ve got things to do, sweetheart. But I’ll sit with you for a little while.’ she promised , running her fingers through his hair. In a very short while he slept, he was emotionally as well as physically exhausted.

He woke as she entered with the lunch time tray. She had made him soup and served it with a chunk of brown bread and butter.

‘Better?’ she asked with a smile. He smiled back.

‘Lots.’ he said.

‘You look it.’ she confirmed. ‘Come along, eat up.’

‘Where’s yours?’ he wanted to know.

‘I’ve eaten. I’ve had another phone call.’ He looked up alarmed.

‘I haven’t done anything else wrong!’ he panicked. ‘Honestly, Bea, I haven’t!’ he had only just returned to her favour and he did not want to lose it again so soon. He was totally miserable when he was in her bad books. He always deserved it but it didn’t make it easier to bear.

‘No-one said you had.’ she soothed. ‘It was the local rail station. I’ve got a parcel to pick up from them. I thought we’d drive over after lunch and see what it is, if you feel up to it.’