Chapter 23

The rest of the afternoon sped by and soon Graham’s taxi was at the cottage door. He and Jonny shook hands. They still weren’t on ‘best buddy’ terms yet but it had gone much better than either of them had dreamed and more than Bea had dared hope for.

Bea kissed Graham goodbye then she and Jonny stood arm in arm on the doorstep waving their visitor goodbye.

Bea tugged Jonny inside.

‘Ohh?’ he teased, laughing at her. ‘What’s the rush?’

‘We do have a train to catch ourselves….’

‘Later.’ he said huskily and chased her squealing and laughing into the bedroom.

When their taxi arrived later and Bea was locking the door to her home, Jonny held her by the shoulders and looked deep into her eyes.

‘You…. you don’t have to.’ he told her hoarsely with that catch in his throat.

‘Do you want me to come with you, sweetheart?’ she asked him.

‘More than anything.’ he said.

‘Then that’s all I need to know, Jonny. I’ll go anywhere with you that you want me to.’ She would go to the ends of the earth with him, or for him.

He just nodded, unable to speak.

‘Come along, sweetheart. It’s cold out here.’ she said.

He swiftly handed her into the taxi and scrambled in beside her, wrapping his arms around her to keep her warm, and she was. But for that little sharp shard of ice piercing her heart.

The train journey back to London was uneventful; they both dozed or slept most of the way.

Back at the hotel, Jonny collected his post before they went up to their room. Both of them were too tired almost to speak. Jonny tipped the bell boy for bringing up their luggage, then began absentmindedly riffling through the letters and messages. Bea approached him, took them firmly from his hand and put them on the dresser.

‘I…’ Jonny began.

‘Are you arguing with me?’ Bea warned softly.

He gave a little tolerant chuckle

‘Would I dare…?’ he countered.

‘Bed.’ she said.

‘Yes ma’am.’

They showered quickly together then towelled dry and slipped between the sheets, nestling into each other.

‘Sweetheart…?’ Jonny asked tentatively, nibbling her ear. She feigned sleep and a snore.

‘Oh thank goodness for that.’ Jonny remarked. ‘Ow! No pinching!’ he gurgled with laughter at her swift response. He smothered her in. ‘Love you.’ he told her.

‘Too.’ she replied sleepily.

‘Bless you.’ he said and kissed her.

'Wasn't a sneeze.' she mumbled.

'I know that.' he chuckled, but she was already asleep. He pressed his lips into her hair and kissed her again.