Chapter 13

‘Jonathon’ she said hesitantly as they waited for the taxi. He looked enquiringly at her but he was distracted and nervous. ‘Jonathon, I’ve a confession to make.’ She said more urgently. She had his attention now.

‘What is it, Bea, what on earth could you have to confess?’

‘You’ll think me such a silly old woman.’

‘Don’t say that, you know I’d never think that.’

‘Oh, but you will. You young people, you take it all in your stride.’

‘Bea, what is it?’ his tone was growing more and more worried.

‘Oh Jonny, I’m terrified of flying. I’m so afraid and I know I’ll do something silly and you’ll be ashamed of me.’ She saw the shocked disbelief in his face.

‘You could never make me ashamed of you, darling Bea.’

She nodded emphatically, ‘I will. I’ll start squeaking and crying like a baby and have to be dragged on and then I’ll try to get off again and cause such a fuss. I know I will and you’ll be so embarrassed you won’t want to be seen with me.’

‘Now stop, that will never happen. There’s nothing to be frightened of. It’s safer than being in a car or on a train. Nothing will happen. I’ll be with you and I won’t let it.’

‘You won’t leave me?’

‘Of course I won’t leave you. I’ll hold your hand the whole way. We’ll sit and watch the dreadful in-flight movie and we’ll be there before you know it. You can have a couple of drinks to relax you if that will help.’

‘No, that’ll only make me sick.’ she said. There must be absolutely no alcohol involved in any way.

‘Well, aren’t there some sort of travel pills…..? We could get some on the way to the airport.’

Oh God he was being so sweet. ‘I wouldn’t be able to keep them down either. I feel sick just thinking about it; but you’ll help me Jonny, won’t you? You’ll keep me safe?’

‘I’ll keep you safe.’ he promised.

She hated deceiving him but perhaps if she kept him so busy allaying her fears he would not have time to realize his own. And in the end, it was not so difficult to play at fear because she was afraid, but the fear was not of flying. She was afraid he might lose control and of the consequences if he did.

The taxi drive to the airport was not too bad. But once there, word soon spread that he was on site and she could feel the tension growing. He had been here many times and he was known and branded as a trouble-maker. Staff were wary of him and watched closely did he take a drink; was he going to be disruptive, argumentative, abusive? And he, aware of their scrutiny and distrust, became more and more edgy and restless. He had to get on that plane; he had to, but was it all about to kick-off once more? Bea was afraid; she did not have to play at it, she was afraid and she communicated her fear to him.

‘It’s alright, sweetheart. It’s alright.’ he stroked her hand and kissed her cold fingers.

‘Shall we get a pot of tea?’ he suggested.

‘Yes, yes please.’ Anything to ease the tension.

‘Let’s check in and go through.’

He waited politely in line and made small talk with the passengers who recognised him. At the desk he charmed the girls and flirted with them and easily won them over. There was no unpleasantness and they took their boarding passes and hand luggage and went through to the departure lounge and had tea and biscuits.