Chapter 10

Jonny brought the tray with two cups of tea and a plate of biscuits.

‘I’m usually ravenous……after….’ he confided. She smiled and took a biscuit.

‘I think I’m going to be too.’ She told him daringly. His mouth pursed.

‘Oooooh. You’re supposing a lot.’ he informed her.

‘Yes, yes I am’ she giggled shoving a biscuit between his teeth. ‘So you better keep your strength up.’

He took off her dressing gown and clambered naked back onto the bed. She blushed and averted her eyes. She was still so modest and shy and he loved to shock her.

‘That’s not all I’ll need to keep…’

‘Jonathon!’ she reproved and he laughed and laughed, rolled onto his stomach and spluttered crumbs all over the bed.

‘Look what you’re doing!’ she scolded and slapped his bare buttocks. He didn’t care. In fact he seemed to like it, because he laughed even more and wriggled his bottom provocatively for good measure, daring her to do it again.

‘Ow. Ow!’ he yelped when she obliged.

‘Big mistake.’ she told him. He chuckled and grabbed her hand and kissed the palm that had slapped him.

‘I’ll brush them all up.’ he promised. ‘Later.’

They drank their tea and ate their biscuits. He made a move towards her.

‘What about those crumbs?’ she reminded him.

‘I said later, woman.’ he growled. He kissed and wooed her gently, sweetly, tenderly. ‘Do you want me?’ he whispered.

‘Yes.’ she told him; it was true.

‘And I want you. I love you.’ he told her that she was in no doubt and proceeded to prove it to her again.

To her shame she had wondered if once he had had her, the novelty would wear off. But it had not. Or even that he turned to her because she had been and still was the only woman available to him and he had not had a woman in what must have been, for him, a long time. And he was an extremely sexually active young man. But the way he treated her made her feel guilty for having believed he was that shallow or exploitative. He was sweet and tender, considerate and passionate and he wanted her often but he always asked if she wanted him. Even when it was obvious, he asked permission.

She asked him why, once. He looked at her, puzzled that she did not understand.

‘Sweetheart, just because you wanted me last week or yesterday or even an hour ago doesn’t give me the right to assume that you want me again. You have the right to say no whenever and for whatever reason and I will respect that. I won’t like it but I will respect it and I will never take that for granted.’

‘You are the sweetest man.’ She told him and he grinned in delight.

‘Does that mean you consent?’ he nuzzled in her ear.

‘I do.’ She told him. ’I do, I do, I do, I do, I do.’ she sang.

‘Ohhhh.’ he sighed rapturously. ‘Does that mean five free goes?’ he chuckled throatily, mischievously.

‘Oh, you bad boy!’ she exclaimed, but joined in his laughter and they made happy, joyous love.

Bea answered the phone and chatted a few moments then called to Jonathon. He entered the room, the question already forming on his lips. ‘It’s David for you,’ she told him and he crossed quickly to her and took the phone from her.