Chapter 29

They were greeted warmly on set and there was lots of laughter and ribbing.

‘Hello Jonny….Miss Roberts.’

Bea stiffened immediately and turned. But she knew who it was even before her eyes alighted on her. Alexandra Scotte. Spiteful little bitch! Jonny had expressly introduced her to this young woman as his wife. But she had obviously seen the interviews and knew now that they were not married and pointedly referred to her in her maiden name. It was not politeness or respect that had made her address her in that manner. Bea smiled her brightest smile and did that little quizzical look, raising her eyebrow slightly as if trying to recall if they had met before.

Yes……?’ she left the question hanging as if she had no idea who she was. Jonny said nothing, he merely moved closer to Bea and his arm tightened possessively, protectively about her. The atmosphere was electric.

‘Bea, this is Alexandra Scotte, she’ll be playing Catherine Howard.’ said the second lead actor, who played Henry VIII’s best friend.

‘Miss Scotte.’ Bea acknowledged with the same formality Alexandra had employed.

‘And Alexandra, you obviously remember Bea, Jonny’s wife.’

Alexandra saw how it was. She didn’t like it, but they were all obviously on this woman’s side, they all accorded her respect and the title of wife.

‘I think Queen Bee, might be more appropriate.’ She said.

‘How right you are.’ agreed Jonny lifting Bea’s hand to his lips and everyone present acknowledged that she was.

Alexandra Scotte bowed her head slightly; she had just lost round two and was wondering whether she might just as well concede defeat right now. People drifted away and she was left alone to consider how to proceed.

Jonny led Bea to her seat.

‘Don’t you ever call me that!’ she threatened him in a fierce whisper.

‘Sweetheart, I wouldn’t dare.’ he assured her. He looked back at Alexandra Scotte, standing all alone. ‘She’s no match for you, Bea.’ he asked her to be generous.

‘She’s young and she’s beautiful.’ stated Bea, two devastating weapons in any woman’s armoury.

‘She’s no match for you.’ Jonny reiterated.

‘Don’t you start feeling sorry for her. Don’t you feel anything for her!’

He leaned close into her. ‘Little spitfire.’ He said, hoarse and husky. ‘Little wildcat.’ She made the scissor cutting motion with two fingers. ‘That only makes me want you more.’ he whispered against her ear, his breath scorching her.

‘You know what happened last time.’ he reminded her He had taken her so roughly against the outside brick wall that it had grazed her bare bottom.

‘You’re taking me home.’ she said. ‘We have a lot of rooms to cover.’ she reminded him. ‘And I am going to wear you out.’

‘I can’t wait.’

‘You are going to have to. I’m worth waiting for.’

‘Yes.’ he said with longing. ‘Yes, you are.’

Alexandra Scotte walked past to get to a seat and he never even noticed. Bea smiled. It may even have been a smirk.

The morning went well and they were finished early afternoon. Alexandra Scotte had redeemed herself somewhat and Bea did not go out of her way to make things more difficult for the young newcomer. Jonny had to work with her; they all had to work with her and Bea knew it was unfair to ask any of them to take sides.