Chapter 20

They walked hand in hand back on set. Everyone turned to see what would happen next. Jonathon lifted Bea’s hand to his lips.

‘I apologise.’ he said, bowing to her and then let her hand go. He walked to his position, all eyes were upon him.

‘I apologise to everyone.’ he said. ‘Now let’s do it.’ Every one of them applauded him. The producer turned to Bea.

‘Thank you.’ he mouthed. She smiled and sat down to watch.

When there was a small break while Jonathon’s make-up was being retouched she phoned the jeweller’s to explain the situation and revise their arrangements.

The remainder of the shoot went extremely well, to everybody’s relief. No-one wanted to mess up again. At a canteen break Jonathon took her for tea.

‘Everyone’s agreed to stay on a bit later tonight to make up some time. It’s a long day but I think it will be worth it. Are you okay with that? You can always go back to the hotel if you’d rather.’

‘What and have you get in trouble the moment I’m not around?’

‘I won’t. I promise.’ he said contritely.

‘I know, sweetheart, I’m only teasing. I’ll see how it goes. But listen, I phoned the jeweller’s and they said we can go any time, just ring them when we’re ready. They suggested I emailed them the two sketches so they could work on the graphics before we get there; I’ve done that so that will save some time too.’ Jonathon grinned delightedly.

‘You’re brilliant!’ he praised her.

‘No, you’re the brilliant one. Those scenes you’ve just done were incredible. You take my breath away. And everyone else just ups their game when you’re so good.’

Jonathon lifted her hand to his lips and kissed her fingers in gratitude. He flourished and thrived on her praise, the more so when he knew he had earned it.

‘Sweetheart, do I add to the pressure by trying to make you behave the way I want you to…..?’

‘No!’ he protested vehemently. ‘No.’ softer, gentler. ‘You must never let me get away with anything you don’t approve of. You ground me, Bea. Like my family. They don’t let me get away with it. If I start acting the prima donna around them, they soon remind me who I am and where I came from. I need that. I don’t always see it and I can’t always control it, but if someone I love and respect tells me I’m being a… a brat then I have to accept it and do something about it. I can’t totally absolve myself of responsibility and I don’t want to, but it helps if I know I’ve got someone who isn’t afraid to tell me I’m going too far and that it has got to stop. You will always do that, won’t you, Bea?’

She loved how disarmingly honest he could be at times about his shortcomings.

‘Yes, sweetheart.’ she promised him. He looked deep into her eyes.

‘Love you.’ he said softly. She caught her breath, she adored him.

‘Love you.’ she returned. Jonathon looked up as someone approached and gave him the five minute sign. He nodded.

‘Thanks.’ he said. ‘Excuse me, Bea. I need the bathroom.’

‘You’re not going to be sick?’ she asked anxiously. He smiled.

‘No, just a call of nature. Will you wait here?’

‘No, I’ll make my way to the set.’ He kissed her cheek and walked away.

Bea took her seat on set. The producer approached.

‘Thanks Bea. I don’t know how you do it, but we could have easily lost another day if you hadn’t got him back on track.’ She just smiled. ‘Don’t get me wrong. He’s one of the finest actors I’ve ever worked with and I was furious that some great scenes were cocked up through no fault of his, but he cannot control that temper and it could land him in big trouble. It is a great pity. I like the guy, he can be great company but he needs a firm hand at times.’