Chapter 9

She was shy and unsure, nervous, hesitant and he was all that he had said he would be. Patient, gentle, endlessly reassuring, unselfish and ultimately passionate. His kisses were tender, gentle, sweet and slowly he felt her relax and begin to respond to him. He took her face between his hands as his kisses became firmer, deeper, and more intense. She struggled softly and pulled back. He released her immediately; she had felt trapped, caged.

‘I’ll never force you, sweetheart.’ he promised. ‘I’ll stop if you tell me to. If you say no, I will respect that. You must know that. You do know that, don’t you?’ She nodded and he opened his arms and she snuggled back into his embrace.

He began again to court her; kissed and caressed her face and his hand slowly traversed down her cheek, her neck until he cupped her breast. She moaned and he felt her nipple harden like a pebble against the palm of his hand. His mouth covered hers and he tenderly parted her lips with his tongue and slowly and gently explored her. He took a long time to coax and rouse her. He treated her with respect and utmost courtesy.

‘May I?’ as he commenced to caress her. She trembled, but nodded. ‘And this?’ he asked undressing her and coaxing her to do the same to him.

But when they were both naked she was painfully self-conscious and so embarrassed that she tried to cover herself, placing her arms and hands across her.

‘No.’ he said very softly She gave a little sob and shook her head; she would not reveal herself more. ‘No.’ he repeated gently but firmly and tried to lift her arms away from her body.

‘No man has ever seen me…’ she whispered, painfully awkward and ill at ease.

He knew what that cost her to admit. ‘That just makes you even more special.’ he reassured her. ‘You are lovely and I want to look at you. Let me see you.’

‘Oh Jonny. I’m old, how can you want me. You’re so young and beautiful. You could have any woman in the world. How can you want me?’ her words ached with self-doubt.

‘But I do, sweetheart and I will prove it to you, if you will only let me.’ and finally she allowed him to lift her hands away.

She was distressed when he saw her operation scar.

‘It’s ugly.’ she shuddered.

Nothing about you is ugly.’ he said firmly.

He traced it with his finger and she shuddered again, but this time with longing. He bent his head and kissed its length and the sweetness of his tender concern pierced her and moved her to tears. He felt their hot wetness splash his body and he lifted up and kissed them from her eyes, her cheeks. She clung against him. He was the sweetest man she had ever known.

‘It’s alright, my darling.’ he assured her, holding her so gently. ‘There’s nothing to be frightened of. There now. Hush. Shhh. Don’t cry, sweetheart. I can’t bear to see you cry. Jonny’s here. Jonny’s here.’

He calmed and gentled her with the softest of kisses until she was able to respond to his caresses once more.

‘Does that please you?’ he nuzzled against her ear as his hands once more travelled her body and one slipped between her thighs. She cried out suddenly, shuddering with desire but her hand forcefully stilled his.

‘You want me to stop? You don’t want me to do that?’ he whispered in disbelief, his hot breath on her body dizzying her senses, but his hand lay still as he had promised her.

‘Jonny?’ very hesitantly and shyly.

‘Yes sweetheart?’

‘What…what about….protection?’ she blushed furiously to say it. He gave the softest little laugh.