CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Fareeds death was the most devastating thing that happened to me as a child. I would go days without talking to anyone and not wanting to eat. Everyone would try talking to me but I wouldn't respond. I was either crying or doing nothing at all.

The coming of my father's brother, uncle Salees who we called Bappa  changed everything. Whenever I was crying, he would come and take me to the park where I would play with other kids. He would tell me stories about where Fareed was and so many more. I grew very close to him because I felt he had a connection with my brother and of course he was family. So I trusted him.

On one fateful day, he came into my room where I was playing in my doll house. On seeing him I screamed his name and hugged him.

"I have a surprise for you" he had said. I followed him but kept on asking what the surprise was. We got to his room and he gave me a bar of kitKat chocolate, which was my all time favourite. 

"Thank you Bappa" I said and started munching it. He watched me while I did that and I didn't mind. I was just 8 years. He started touching me in a way I wasn't comfortable.

"I don't like it"

"It's not bad Reedah. I just love you"

I knew this was wrong on all levels. It didn't sound right or look right. He even took my little hands and was about to put it in his trousers before I pulled my hands back. That was when he got angry. His eyes turned red and he picked me up like an ant. He threw me on the bed and started unbuckling his belt. I screamed and screamed. I thought I was going to die not until two of my brothers Ya Ahmad and Ya Safwan came in. They dragged him, while Ahmad carried me from the bed. Uncle Salees got the beating of his life from my brother before he was taken to Baba.

"Hope he didn't do anything to you" Ya Ahmad asked cleaning my tears

"No" I replied with a shivering body.

That man almost raped me.

That was the last day I saw him in my life. My father threw him out of our house that moment and told him never to return anywhere near our family. Even when we visit Gombe, I never came across him.

"What the hell is he doing here?"

"Who?" Adda Ameera asked

"Let's follow the other way."  I dragged Adda Ameera and we changed our route but he still followed us. So we stopped.

"Bappa Salees noin?"

"Fareedah you should forgive me please?"

"You only came here because you know Baba has gone and Hamma won't chase you. I don't know why Hamma even still considers you as family. You're my worst nightmare. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive you because you almost took my dignity away. Imagine someone doing the same to your daughter. You're so pathetic"

"But I've realised my mistake and I'm asking for your forgiveness. It's over 10 years and I'm still unable to forgive myself. I came here today just so I can see you. Fareedah I'm really sorry."