';Part Twenty Seven - Mine.

Enjoy!

B. X

*************************************************************************************************************

Cherri's P.O.V.

JAKE!” I screamed as his lifeless body hit the floor with a resounding THUMP.

Ryan held the trigger to his own temple. He kissed Mom’s cheek.

“Bang!” he grinned, before his body hit the floor, blood leaking from the hole in his head.

My stomach lurched and I was violently sick in a potted plant.

Mom was holding me hair back while I emptied my guts out.

Uncle Kain was screaming down the phone at the 911 operator.

“Jake...” I sobbed, clutching his lifeless body as the patch in his shirt grew bigger and bigger by the second.

I tore off his shirt frantically, applying pressure to the wound like we were taught in Health class.

I turned to throw up again but nothing came. I was retching.

“Do something!” I screamed, “Do something, please! PLEASE!”

I kissed Jake over and over, shaking him, pumping on his chest. He wasn’t breathing. He wasn’t breathing. The tears were blurring my vision.

Jake. My everything.

I heard the sirens outside and the paramedics rushing in through the door.

“One dead, one shot. Repeat. One dead, one shot. I need backup immediately. Over.”

“Hello little lady,” a paramedic with dark skin and long plaited hair bent down next to me, “Imma need you to move out the way just for a bit sweetie. Is this your boyfriend?”

I nodded at the woman.

“Okay, we’re gonna see if he can hear us, would you call his name?”

JAKE!” I shouted, “Jake, come on baby, get up. Come on Jake, stop teasing. Jake, I know you can hear me. Don’t you dare die on me Jake, don’t you dare! I need you! Who’s going to watch The Piano with me, who’s going to cheer me up when I’m so damn pissed off with everyone and only you understand me, who’s going to love me like you do?” I cried

No response.

I hit him, “Come on baby! Come on!”

He didn’t stir.

“Blood pressure raised.” The paramedic said to her colleague.

I brought my lips to his and kissed him hard.

His body jerked upwards and he took a lungful of air.

“Cherri? Cherri, babe? Where am I?” he murmured

I laughed in absolute relief and kissed him, “You’re here baby, you’re right here and I promise, I’ll never leave you, I promise. I love you so much baby, I love you.”

They placed an oxygen mask over his face.

“Honey,” the paramedic said, “We’re going to have to go sweetie pie.”

“I can come too right?” I asked

She shook her head, “’Fraid not sweetie. The bullet is lodged in Jake’s side. He’s gonna need some surgery. You can come and see him later.”

“Please don’t make me go,” I cried, “Please.”

“Sorry sweetie,” she smiled weakly, “You’ve been so brave today. You’ll be the first to see him later, I promise you.”