Business Trip

Annabeth was glad to escape to Luke's summer villa, but he was called back to Rome by the Senate. Aside from missing Luke, another thing bothered Annabeth. Her prayers to the gods — both Roman and Egyptian — had not been fulfilled despite the mandrake and honey she had taken every morning for the past four months. Annabeth had overheard a couple slaves speculating if Annabeth was barren. Apparently, Luke's last wife, Kelli, had failed to give him an heir, so he divorced her after three years and not a hint of pregnancy. 

      One day, Annabeth decided to enjoy Luke's swimming pool. It was large and shaded by trees. Annabeth did not want to be by herself, so she invited a few slaves to swim with her. Luke had a heated, indoor pool in his villa in Rome, but this outdoor pool was larger and more beautiful. The bottom of the pool was a fresco depicting Neptune's palace beneath the sea. 

    Annabeth and Katie quickly removed their outer garments and dove into the pool. Travis, Connor, and Percy were more hesitant. Annabeth saw Travis's face flushing as his eyes followed Katie's lithe form and she suppressed a giggle. She suspected what the problem was.

    "Come in," she said, splashing the men.

     "Are you sure?" Percy asked, scratching the back of his neck with his right hand. 

     "That's an order," Annabeth said, punctuating her words with another splash.

    Travis and Connor exchanged glances and before they could disrobe, Connor pushed his brother into the pool. Travis surfaced, but his brother had already removed his outerwear and was in the pool.

    "What was that for?" Travis grumbled. "This robe is weighing me down."

       Katie swam up next to him and said, "Let me help you."

      Travis turned as red as the painted squid beneath his feet and this time, Annabeth could not hold back her laughter. This made Travis blush harder, which only made Annabeth laugh louder. Soon, Percy and Connor joined in.

     Once her giggles subsided, Annabeth realized that Percy was more graceful in the water than out of it.

    "You're just like a seal," she teased.

    "Whatever you say, domina," he said, though his voice was laced with sarcasm.

     "And my brother is just like Leander," Connor grumbled, pointing at Travis and Katie.

   The two were in the midst of a splash fight.

    "All he does is talk about Katie," Connor complained.

    "Well that didn't stop him from helping me turn the water in the rosewater fountain deep blue," Percy said.

    "That was you!" Annabeth said. "I should punish you."

    "Oops," Percy said while Connor swam to the opposite side of the pool.

     "I don't know what Luke was thinking when he got you," Annabeth said.

    "Well, you will only have to put up with me for a few more years," Percy said. "I'll be freed once my debt is repaid. Then, I can see my mother again and apologize for gambling away my freedom."

    "Maybe you'll be released early," Annabeth said.

     Percy shrugged as if he thought that was unlikely. He swam away and Annabeth reveled in the coolness of the water. She swam across the pool and then treaded water, enjoying the breeze in her hair.

    Annabeth heard a splash and felt a bolt of pain. Suddenly, she felt weight against her body. Hr eyes opened and she realized she was below the water. She blinked and made out the large statue of Neptune that was pinning her against the bottom of the pool. She tried to push it off of her, but it was too heavy and she was growing weaker by the second.

   At last, she gave up and closed her eyes. She prayed to the gods for the well-being of her husband and her family. Suddenly, Annabeth felt the weight shift and then disappear, but she was too weak to do anything. The next thing Annabeth was aware of was a pressure on her chest, though it felt different, and the breeze blowing against her face.

     She felt herself cough up water and she enjoyed the taste of fresh, salty sea air. Annabeth's eyes flew open and she saw Percy crouching over her. The concern in his sea green eyes was clearer than the water in Luke's pool. 

    "How are you?" Percy asked sheepishly and Annabeth realized he must have pulled her out of the water.

    She gradually became aware of Katie, Connor, and Travis standing near Percy.

   "I'm alright," she said weakly. "Thank you, Percy. I'll have to talk to Luke about setting you free sooner."