Emperor Zeus

Frank guarded the bedside and though he prayed to Apollo for the emperor's health, he could tell by the faces in the room that Zeus would soon be in the Underworld. The sun was setting, but Frank remained near his employer as if he could guard him from death. Beside Zeus, several physicians were tending him. One of them, a blonde named Will, was giving Zeus a pill made of herbs to help give him strength while the other were examining him.

    Sitting in a chair near the bed, the empress was the portrait of misery. She and Zeus had been married for decades and though he was a serial adulterer, she had given him two daughters. Hebe and Eileithyia were crying beside their mother. Though both of them were in their thirties, neither of them had husbands or children. 

    Zeus was between consciousness and sleep most of the night. Late in the night, he roused and sat up, startling the physicians.

    "Caesar," Will said in awe. "You are awake. The gods have blessed you!"

   "Yes they have," Zeus said, smiling slightly before coughing. 

   When his bout of coughing ended, he continued, "The gods have given me a long life. They have given me a fine empire, a fine wife, two lovely daughters, and a strong and capable heir."

    "Hera, I expect you to support my son," he said. "Heracles will need you."

    "I will, my lord," Hera said, though several members of the Praetorian Guard exchanged doubtful glances.

    "Eileithyia, follow Vesta's example," Zeus told his daughter. "Hebe, follow the example set by Octavia."

    He was overcome by another bout of coughs. His entire body seized up and Hera yelped. Will tried to force the emperor to lay down, but Zeus swatted him aside and said, "I must finish my work on earth before I become divine."

    Hera laughed through her tears. It was common for emperors to joke about becoming immortal after their deaths. Will stepped back, though his eyes were still fixed on the emperor and concern was etched onto his face.

     "Heracles," Zeus continued. "Heracles — where is he?"

     "He's with his tutor," Hera said. "You instructed him to read your memoir."

      "I did?" Zeus asked, scrucnhing his eyebrows together. "Oh yes, now I remember. Well, fetch him! He needs to hear my advice."

    A servant scurried out of the room to fetch Heracles. Zeus's chatter became more jumbled.

   "Alcmene, I'm sorry," he said, talking as his former mistress was there. "I should never have sent you to Egypt, Io. Aethra, I'm sorry I let the Gauls kill you. I should never have taken you on the campaign."

    Hera's face was tight as Zeus spoke of his many lovers. When his conversation turned to his cupbearer, Ganymede, who had died of a fever three years ago, Hera started sobbing again. Frank wondered if she knew that Zeus had taken Ganymede like he had taken Aethra and Io.

    Suddenly, the light in Zeus's eyes changed and he turned to look at Hera.

   "Forgive me," he whispered.

    Hera cried and ran over to him, but he had already crumpled. The physicians examined him and when he was pronounced dead, a somber silence fell upon the room.   

   "Where is Heracles?" Hera asked. "He's the emperor now."

As if in response to her question, a servant ran into the room and wailed, "Heracles is dead!"