e.d. | i hate u.

(10 Things I Hate About You is still one of my favorite 90's movies of all time so enjoy this chapter inspired by it.)

ETHAN'S POV
Y/n walked to the front of the classroom, her long blonde braid going down the center of her back and swaying from side to side as she walked. The piece of paper she held in her hands seemed to be torn around the edges and wrinkled up. She unfolded it and cleared her throat.

She made very subtle and sudden eye contact with me, before looking back down at her paper.

"I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car, I hate it when you stare," she spoke in her normal dry, bitter speaking voice, not even trying to change it to better fit her poem. She had the kind of voice that subtly tells you how much she despises you without her actually having to say it.

"I hate your big, dumb, combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick, it even makes me rhyme." I smiled to myself. She had always told me how ugly my favorite combat boots were, and how they made me look like a wanna-be grunge boy. After that, I only wore them to annoy her.

"I hate it..." her voice sounded weak for a split second, and she wiped her nose with the side of her finger. "I hate the way you're always right, I hate it when you lie."

I leaned forward on my desk, elbows on the wood and fists folded together against my mouth.

"I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry," her voice broke completely, and a small tear fell from her left eye.

"I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call," her eyes eyes were now glued to me, and she was able to continue her poem without even looking at it.

"But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all." Her face was red and her fingertips were white as they grasped the paper. I felt my throat grow dry as I stared back at her, feeling every word she just said hit me in the gut. I deserved it.

She let out a small sob before wiping her eyes and walking towards the door. She walked out without turning around or bothering to close it. The whole class grew quiet, and no one bothered shutting the door.