g.d. | you're a big girl now.

Your POV
"Babe, she's crying again, can you get her while I do the laundry?" I asked Grayson as I picked up the laundry basket from the floor. He yawned and rolled out of bed in nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants. "On it," he said tiredly. I smiled to myself as I watched him stumble out of our room and down the haul into our daughter's room.

I piled clothes into basket, listening to Grayson's soft voice from her room. "Shhh, shhh," he repeated in a hushed tone. I put down the basket, threw my hair into a messy bun and changed into one of his t-shirts hanging up in the closet. I picked it back up and headed down the hall, but stopped abruptly once I reached the door to her room.

"Shh, shh, baby, it's okay, daddy's here," Grayson whispered to her, trying to calm her down. It went silent for a minute, then I heard gentle soft humming. He was singing. Grayson had an amazing singing voice, but hardly ever sang around people; even me. I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes, listening to him.

"Our conversation, was short and sweet. It nearly swept me, off of my feet. And I'm back in the rain, oh, and you are on dry land."

His voice was so soft and calming, I probably could've fallen asleep while listening to him if I wasn't getting all emotional. I heard her cooing quietly as he kept singing.

"Oh, you've made it there somehow. You're a big girl now."

I leaned off of the wall and stood in the doorway, leaning against the wood to watch him. He was sitting in the rocking chair in the corner of the room, the one that had originally belonged to his dad. He rocked back and forth slowly, and his strong arms were holding her in a light pink blanket.

"Love is so simple, to quote a phrase. You've known it all the while, I'm learnin' it these days. Oh, I know where I can find you, oh, in somebody's room."

He must not have noticed me standing there. The lights were off in the hallway and the only light was coming from the lamp in her room next to the rocking chair. He was staring down at her and smiling.

"Oh, it's a price I have to pay. You're a big girl all the way."

For a second his eyes drifted up towards me, then back down to her. But he didn't stop, his smile just grew a little bit wider.

"Bird on the horizon, sittin' on a fence. He's singin' his song for me, at his own expense. And I'm just like that bird, oh, singin' just for you."

From what I could see, she was staring up at him with her big hazel eyes, smiling just as wide as he was. I've never seen her as happy as what she is right now. It's like her whole world is complete.

"Oh, I hope that you can hear, hear me singin' through these tears."

"Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast. Ah, but what a shame it is that all we shared can't last."

I was surprised he hadn't stopped. Mostly because everytime I've ever caught him singing, he immediately stops and laughs it off. He truly does have a beautiful voice.

"I can change, I swear, oh, see what you can do."

I crossed my arms across my chest and wiped my face, since tears were now streaming down from my eyes like mini waterfalls. I could hear her giggling quietly, almost too quiet for me to hear.

"Oh, I can make it through. You can make it, too."

He glanced up at me again, and he too, had tears in his eyes. He wiped them away before they could fall onto her, and cleared his throat. "Mommy's listening to me and I'm kind of embarrassed now," he said to her softly.

I laughed through my tears and stepped into the room, continuing to wipe my face off with the back of my hand. He held his free arm out to me, and I took a seat on his other knee, staring down at her perfect, little face.

I leaned my head against his inner shoulder and he ran his hand along my back. "Life doesn't get much better than this," he whispered.