e.d. | why i love you

Ethan's POV:
There is not a single thing I don't find stunning about her. Believe me, I've spent this whole time trying to find something, one thing, but there just isn't.

These were the words going through my mind the moment I first laid eyes on her, that one winter night on the subway, when she was sitting right across from me. She was holding a cup of coffee and had her nose stuck in a book. Every once in a while she'd come up and take a sip from the cup.

She had an earbud in each ear. Her hair was in a low bun, that fell right down the middle of her back, with pieces pulled lose at the sides of her face. I don't think she had any makeup on, of course I wouldn't know though.

I knew I probably looked like a total creep to everyone else around me, just casually staring at this girl like there was no tomorrow, but the world around me didn't really seem to exist right then. I was just so infatuated with her.

I spent what felt like forever trying to gather the confidence to get up and talk to her, but I talked myself out of it every time. This lead to me overthinking just how long this train ride was. How many more minutes left exactly? Okay, if I spend at least one more minute just looking at her, I'll have this much time to get up and talk to her, and this extra time to contemplate if I actually have the balls to do this.

In case it wasn't obvious, I was very shy. The only time I'd ever asked a girl out was during my freshman year of high school, and even then it was only so I could go to a school dance with a date. I don't even remember her name. I think it was Samantha. Or Courtney. Maybe Angela?

Who cares Ethan? Stop stalling and talk to her.

I finally got up and took a seat next to her. The rest of the train was pretty empty, maybe two or three people spread out across the rest of the seats. She seemed to not notice me at first, but eventually took out her earbuds and smiled at me. "Hi," she said in a kind voice, like she'd known me her whole life. "Hey," I said softly, looking down at the ground for comfort, as a normal person does.

And I guess you could say the rest after that is history. We talked and talked and then talked some more, I got off the subway with her, completely forgetting that I had somewhere to be, and we got coffee because she needed a refill.

She was a college student trying to get her master's in forensics psychology. I was a college dropout working as a barista and an assistant for a really stuck up short-film director. We bonded over our student debt and music and spent what felt like hours just sitting on random benches all around New York. I got her number and gave her mine, and we parted ways.

And here we are, three years later, at a wedding. Not ours, but my brother's. He married his girlfriend from high school, Melanie, after years of being terrified to propose.

We were sitting at a table with my mom, a few of her friends, and some of mine and Grayson's. Y/n sat there holding her glass of red wine and looking around the room. Her eyes twinkled as she stared at the lights hanging from the ceiling.

Eruptions of laughter came from different parts of the room, and songs I could barely hear came from speakers hidden under food tables and behind large plants. People were up refilling drinks, getting slices of the ridiculously oversized wedding cake, and dancing. Grayson and Melanie were talking to the other guests and had their arms hooked together.

I looked over at y/n and she was looking at me long before I could even turn my head. I laughed a little louder than I meant to. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Because you're beautiful," she replied before kissing me on the cheek and wrapping her arm around my shoulder. I put my hand on her thigh and kissed her back, still not taking my eyes from hers. She truly was the most beautiful person on God's green earth, in all ways that someone can be beautiful.