Nancy

Her eyes were always her most endearing feature. They were what I first noticed about her, and they're what I remember her by.
When I first met Nancy, she was very shy. Her hair was always up in a ponytail, and she had braces. She was brilliant - a textbook nerd. She was never well-liked. Mostly out of jealousy, I assume. People just couldn't stand that her excellent grades came so easy to her. Nancy had a photographic memory. She could memorize textbooks verbatim. Those beautiful eyes were always swiftly moving left to right, drinking in entire novels a day.
Me? I was your classic "popular kid". And no, this isn't some romance story. This one is all about the chase. The predator, and the prey. I'm not proud of what I've done, but I don't regret it. Not when I could have Nancy all to myself.
She was pure. Untouched. She had to be mine. So I set out to court her. She was apprehensive for a long time, wondering what was so fantastic about her that I would be attracted to her.
Eventually I got her to agree to let me take her out on a date. And I spent much of that time just lost in her deep blue, almost surreal, eyes. She was such a sweet girl. She told the corniest jokes and had a laugh that was funnier than the joke itself. She was amazing.
I was so sad when it was time for her to go home, but I knew I'd see my Nancy again. After all, we went to the same school.
Nancy and I had been dating for 4 months and 12 days when she told me that she had to break up with me. She told me long distance was not something she could handle.
I was so confused. My world came crashing down. My Nancy was breaking up with me. MY Nancy.
She was leaving. Her entire family was shifting to another state. And I was only getting last minute notice because she couldn't work up the nerve to tell me the truth.
I was furious, but remained calm to her face. I went home fuming, a horrible half mix of sad and angry.
All I could think about was the hours I'd spent looking into her eyes, planning a future with her; thinking of how our kids would be so beautiful.
And that's when I knew what I had to do. I knew how I'd be okay. Nancy had to go. She told me she had to go.
But she needed to stay with me. They say that the eyes are the window to the soul. They say that you should fall in love with someone's eyes because they'll never age. True beauty.
I asked her to come over one last time. To have dinner with me one last time and I fully intended on convincing her to live with me. My parents weren't home. It would just be us.
Nancy seemed apprehensive on the phone, but after I started crying, she agreed to one last dinner with me.
The dinner did not go well. We ended up fighting, and then I...well I took what I had to. What I needed to remember her by.
Those gorgeous deep blue eyes now sit in a jar in a cooler under my bed. I can look into them any time I want. And I can remember Nancy any time I want. And her? Well she'd be able to remember me well in her shallow grave in my basement. She did have a photographic memory, after all.