Chapter 35

Carol's *POV*

If this for any other day, I'd say -I slept like a baby but today I slept like that frightened baby who knew there was no way out to escape the dark closet.

I could taste the salty tears on my lips but I wanted to go back to sleep where everything was cozy and happy, where I on a picnic with Aidan between the wildflowers. And there was no fear, no pain but the sound of that hummingbird and cool sea breeze.

"Looks like you slept well Sugar!", my back was to him and I didn't want to turn and face the reality, face him. 

Slowly, I rubbed my cheeks to pull off the tear strains and my eyes met his.

He was leaning on his elbow, bare chest inflated with ego and eyes  proprietary on me.

I sensed something when his gaze locked on me again.

Decision, determination, desire.

All the thoughts and fear made my mouth dry. Though he said nothing, though he moved no closer, I found myself fighting back fear—and the knowledge that whatever game I challenged him to, I would lose because he would look into my eyes and know each move before I made it and I can't afford risking Mia and Lizzie's life.

A knock sounded at the door, but he continued to look at me for long silent seconds before he rose.

"Looks like your man won't let us live in peace. "

He didn't bother any modesty and walked naked to the toilet.

"Till I finish my shower you get over with the moron and tell him to leave you alone and never ever bother seeing you again!"

With that he closed the door and that very second I was up on my feet, running to kitchen to splash some water before I opened the door.

"    AIDAN .   "  I all but clung to him as if my life depended on it. Maybe it did.

"Woo...wooah! This is some very nice good morning welcome I've got in years."

"Thanks to you Buddy!", he patted Connie and the dog happily ran inside jumping from the porch.

He took my face and  in a blink our lips joined. I wanted to cry but tears were too less for the moment. I wanted to pour out everything but the consequences of it weren't affordable.

For that one moment when he kissed me like that, I forgot everything. Forgot about the man whose probably singing in the shower and waiting to take lives if I make one wrong move.

But his touch made me weak and foolish.

Power. It sped through my nerves. Desire was a rush of heat. I could feel need buzzing through the morning light as I stood motionless in his arms.

I should have refused him. I was supposed to do that, follow my husband's orders but There was suddenly no wit to evade, no strength to refuse.

For all his intensity, for all the force of his personality, the kiss was meltingly soft.

Though his fingers were strong and firm in my sleep hair, so firm if I'd tried to move away I’d have found myself trapped, his lips were as gentle and warm as the light that flickered from the sun between us.

I didn’t know when I reached for him, but without any thought my arms were around him, bodies merging, passion rustling.

The quiet, intoxicating taste of morning coffee was still on his tongue. I drank it in with his cologne.

My so ordered, disciplined mind swam first with confusion, then with sensation after alluring sensation. I didn't want to let go of him, now or ever. But fate had other plans for us.