Chapter 37

Carol's *POV*

My head was pounding. Dragging myself to the bathroom, I studied myself objectively in the mirror over the sink.

Terrible, I decided without emotion. The headache had taken the color from my already pale cheeks, and my eyes were swollen and red from tears.

Dispassionately, I ran the water until it was icy cold, then splashed my face with it. When my skin was numb, I finally stripped and stepped under the shower.

I couldn't find energy to stand still, so keeping a conscious hand on my stomach I stood under the water, supporting the wall, until my knees finally touched the floor.

Pulling my knees to closer to my chest seemed  disturbingly difficult  in the 30th week, but  I sat there and imagined how the flaming globe sank toward the horizon.

The intensity of color against the darkening blue of the sky. Nothing soft or mellow. It was a vivid and demanding prelude to night.

Dan must probably be snoring on the chair by now with his whiskey and football.  

Easily, I took out his from the breast pocket and I didn't really know what to do with it.  But that iPhone in my hand was just  like a toy in my hand which I didn't know how to play with.

I tried to get some 'information' from his phone, but he just had too many locks for every damn thing.

I even checked his pants and coats for some clue but the only things I got wes a pack of cigarette and some speeding tickets. Except that he didn't have any luggage nor did I find anything worth in his car.

Finally giving up on hopes, I sat there and wept and wept until I ran out of tears.

Food was the last thing I could think of at the moment but the baby's constant kicking got me into licking two Nutella  cans.

I heard the phone ring and it was that very moment I almost stopped breathing.

The  suddenness of the buzz ringed in my ears and not even bothering to dry myself, I loosely wrapped a towel around my chest and ran (which seemed as slow as a lifeless jaundice patient  -but that was the best I could manage)

I feared what if he was calling me again, though he didn't mention to expect any call after what I told him at the cemetery  but still my heart drum rolled as I got the call on the last ring.

Even though my landline was in the kitchen, I whispered into the dark night,

"Hello?"

As I waited for the reply, From the corner of my eyes I saw Danish sleeping indifferently on the sofa with a bottle still curled up in his hand.

"Hello?", I said again. A little louder this time.

"Carol it's Me!" , a soft familiar voice whispered back after a pause.

"Goodness! Macy! Why are you calling me at this time of the night?"

I wasn't sure what time it was but but seemed pretty dark outside.

"Uh-huh. Why are you whispering? I just called up to---..umm...you know... Just--"

"To  check. That's very sweet of you. I am fine. Just going to bed and you should do the same too."

"Mm..okay then good night. Sleep tight."

"Night. "

I could still hear her breathing at the other end and tears wanted to spur out again.