Chapter Five: Null Memories

Within the following hour, I was introduced to my temporary dwelling space, the make-shift open kitchen, Bandito customs and responsibilities, and much more information I struggled to retain. I was considered a promising outsider to them—someone who needed to prove their loyalty—but I was treated with respect and kindness, nonetheless.

Brenton explained the meaning behind their movement's emblem, citing that it was a reversal of what Vialism had enacted. Vultures are known for devouring the dead, but the Banditos saw them as an example of perseverance. As rejectors of the Dema's law, they used their knowledge and heartache of those lost within the city to feed their movement—their new life.

Since Dema was meticulously focused on creating sharp lines and boundaries, most Bandito customs were devoted to passionately rejecting Vialism in the most abstract ways possible. Even their sense of direction was altered, where east pointed forward on their maps and compasses.

This was an acknowledgement of the direction the Banditos first traveled when fleeing the city, along with an important discovery. Two years ago, when the initial group of 20 civilians bravely ventured into Trench, under the leadership of Joshua, they spent hours studying the sky. Over the course of a few days, they found that the sun and moon always rose from what was supposedly "south".

Dema had lied about true north. The Bishops couldn't even be trusted with long-standing fact.

I, myself, was even stunned by this. Within the city, I was always too busy to look up and admire the sky—we all were. It was frowned upon to seem so absent-minded. This was one of their many clever attempts to distract us and hurt our chances at survival outside of Dema's strong wall.

Therefore, the Banditos declared "east is up" and the phrase became one of unity and truth among the group.

Now, even though some had been lost along the way, the Banditos boasted around 40 recruits—growing larger every month. Their zeal was unmatched. Even within the city, I had never seen a group of people so focused and willing to work. This rebellion was a true community effort. Everyone had a job and a place within the camp. Yet they also understood the importance of leisure and fellowship.

As the full moon cast its sliver light upon us, I watched banditos play music on makeshift wind and percussion instruments. Others danced around a big bonfire in the center of camp, laughing and smiling. All of this was in celebration of Tyler's initiation—the final piece to a night of unconventional pomp and rituals.

Even spectating from afar, there was a warmth among them that a campfire could never bring—something deeper, that soothed down to the bone.

I wondered if this was what a "home" was: something inviting and full of fellowship ... love. I heard of this elusive place from some far-away merchants who passed by Dema and couldn't help but share their stories. Yet the concept always perplexed me. While I called Dema my "home" by default, I knew it was void of the qualities "home" possessed—at least in its current state. Even though the familiar faces I knew for years seemed content in the city, I and many others grew inevitably turbulent.

My heart still ached for the towers—but I made the most of the generosity I received in Trench.

Spectating several yards away, I decided to move closer towards the blaze and infectious energy. The rebel shouts and music grew louder. I felt the pounding of the drums in my chest. The trill sound of flutes whistled through my ears.

As details of the scene sharpened, the centerpiece of the event caught my attention. In an instant, I found myself entranced with the broken down, soot-filled car which served as the Banditos' grand bonfire.