Afterword

"The beginning of purpose is found in creating something that only you understand."

—Tyler Joseph

---------------

In regard to the quote above, I only somewhat agree.

Or, at least, I disagree with it as a standalone quote.

Perhaps the originator did not intend for it to sound so absolute and definite, but personally, I believe the beginning of purpose can be found through a variety of routes. It might require venturing down a few paths before finding the correct one but finding meaning and fulfillment is a journey far too unique to be summarized in one action. 

That being said, I also believe the intimate creation of any work of art is one of the most life-changing, eye-opening, and transformative processes one can commit to.

This story was originally estimated to be around 10 chapters and 12,000 words. What it grew into was something far more special and memorable than I expected. As I continue to complete my projects one-by-one, I'm am reminded of how precious creativity, in my unique choice of form, can be.

But first, it begins with inspiration.

Over the years I have been inspired by many people, movies, songs, and more. They have sparked intense battles, emotional farewells, plot twists, and entire characters, across my many fragments of work. Yet there is one particular movement that has guided, taught, and shaped me through my latter teen years and into young adulthood. I use the word "movement" because Twenty One Pilots is much more than just two men and an array of electronic and traditional instruments.

It is a community of people who support, share, create, and enthuse, united by one message that carries throughout an entire discography. In its most basic, concise form, that message is to "create, seek truth, and stay alive".

The Lifeless Light is ultimately my "thank you" to the music and people who have lifted me up, helped me grow, and pushed me to create bigger and better.

As I have always said since following the band, their entire library of music forms a story and character arc—even beyond the confines of the "Trench" album. Simple objects, even three mere lines, have transformed into their own meanings inside the body of work and within the minds of millions. When one asks around for theories and interpretations, they will find that everyone processes the band's work differently. For some it's about faith, others mental health—or even others, self-acceptance.

This is the joy and beauty of creation.

Now, after a year since a mysterious website surfaced in connection to the band's next "era" of music—after the countless hours of discussing, ruminating, and theorizing that thousands committed to understanding this simple yet beautiful work—I and many others believe this was the ultimate goal of "Trench" in the first place. The ambiguous yet rich lore associated with the album was a challenge to create your own meaning. It was an exercise in digging deeper and discovering something personal and special.

I have seen such transformation in creating my own work—even in The Lifeless Light.

Art, of any form, is a precious tool that, when wielded correctly, brings an understanding of yourself, the world, truth, and yes, purpose. At many times, it is unexpected. Nevertheless, the objects and shapes you once knew in literal form eventually bear something far deeper. They are remembered for the rest of your life—shaping you, as you shaped it.

This is one of the many reasons why I write. I wouldn't be who I am today without it.

So yes, purpose is a personal journey fulfilled through a range of places, people, and actions that are wholly unique to an individual. Yet over the years, as I have reflected on the quote above and journeyed down many routes, perhaps I've realized that creation is one of the paths I was made to take as well.

Until next time ...

- D.S Solana