Ch4

Brett unknowingly licked his lips as Eddy sat down on the piano bench.

Eddy smiled widely. "I'm very excited about this one. Well, I'm not a pro, but we already knew that. You better like it, bro, or else I'll cry." He pouted playfully.

Brett laughed. "Crybaby, of course I'll like it." He paused. "But if it's shit, I'm going to have to tell you so."

Eddy sighed. "Of course."

His fingers brushed the keys and the younger violinist felt anxious. There was no reason for it, of course. Brett was his best friend, they practiced with each other all the time and played (pieces) together all the time.

So there should have been no reason, right?

He started reluctantly and soon got into it. Brett locked his gaze onto his friend and watched in awe as Eddy's passion and love for music was expressed through every note. It was as if he'd wrote himself, just for Brett.

Brett's heart raced and he felt his face get hot, yet he smiled. It was just so easy to be around Eddy. Eddy always cared for him, agreed to do those dumb skits, put on a terrible blonde wig.

Eddy had played the part of his girlfriend for so long, he wondered what it would be like to actually have a significant other. What was it like to be in love?

Eddy finished the piece on a seemingly perfect note, the white key buckling under the weight of his fingers.

Chen looked up expectantly at Yang. "How was it?"

Oh.

Oh. Is this...

In that moment, all the pieces of the puzzle seemed to come together to form one picture.

"It was great."

Eddy breathed out a sigh of relief. "I did mess up, though..."

"I didn't notice. I'm not exactly a committed pianist." Brett smirked.

"I could teach you."

Damn, Eddy was so perfect. And Brett was so utterly in love.

I'm in love with Eddy.

Another long glance, and something dark crept grew again in Brett's mind.

But I'll never be good enough for him. Not good enough for anything, anyone...

"Brett? You ok?"

His eyes, his lips, the way his face scrunched up in worry. It was all so perfect.

"I-- yeah. I'm--"

"Do want something to eat? Drink? I know you were just asleep but if you're not feeling well you should definitely rest, Brett."

"Yah, mama, you don't have to fuss."

Eddy got up from the bench and the two returned back to the livingroom.

"Don't I?"

Ah, and the way he worried about him. So sincere. I don't deserve it.

What the hell is wrong with me?

"If it makes you feel better, I'll eat."

Eddy smiled. "It would."

The two violinists laughed.

It wasn't a very exciting moment in his life, but Brett was going to treasure it for the rest of his life.

...How ever long that would be.