Chapter Four

The sun shone down as Granny Keeny sat on the old rocking chair, watching her Great-grandson tend to the fields.
"Granny?" He asked slowly, a wobble in his voice. His face was red, and tired.
"What do you want?" Mary replied to him, slowly rocking back and forth in the scorching sun.
"Well, everyone at school is going trick or treating tonight--" He was cut of swiftly.
"I will let you have no part in the devil's games." She looked at him, a strange fire in her eyes. Jonathan saw the devil in that rocking chair.
"I have enough money--" He stopped at Granny's look at him.
"Go do your homework, boy." She half-yelled. Jonathan did exactly that and dashed inside. Sitting on his bed, he took out his bag. Time sped by quickly, it was almost a shocked him when Granny called him down for tea.
The table was an awkwardly long oakwood dining table with matching chairs. It had two sets of candles either side and a fruit bowl in the middle. Jonathan looked at Granny as she re lit a candle.
"I was looking through your school bag, boy, and I found this." She took Jonathan's book on psychology out from under the table. "What are you doing with devilish books like this?"
Jonathan stared at her, wide eyed, as a bubble formed in his chest.
"I'm sorry, Granny, I'm sorry." He pleaded with her to no avail.
"I've had enough of your nonsense. Go on, get your suit on. We're going out." She watched Jonathan's face change, from sorrow to fear. He knew where they were going.
"Please, no, I don't want--" He pleaded again. His suit was thrown at him aggressively as tears began to form in his eyes.
"Want is a sin, boy." Granny replied, before Dragging the suited boy out into the field.
"I promise I'll be good..." He begged, only to be ignored.
He tried escaping her grasp, but her old arms were stronger than anyone gave them credit for.
They were there now. The old aviary. It's old blackened wood stood there crumbling, and the roof was half destroyed. He watched the crows circle them.
Granny violently chucked him inside and held the door.
"Twas God's will, you see, his great lesson in how to face our childhood fears---" She was cut of by her screaming great grandson, as she locked the door.
"Granny! Please!" He screamed almost inaudibly.
"Just as it is your lesson now, Jonathan." She finished her sentence. She started to walk off, singing to herself. Singing over her great grandson's cries.
"Please! I can't stand it!" He yelled, banging on the door. "Please don't do this! Please don't do this again..." He turned on his knees, only to see what he feared most, tears formed in his eyes and streamed down his dirty face. He banged on the door one last time as he screamed, this time not from fear, but from pain, as the crows attacked him, slashing at his skin, tearing it, leaving deep cuts. He curled up in a ball, his hands over his head. The wings batted against him. Then, like nothing everything stopped, the pain was gone, but something else stood in its place, pure fear.
Oh come on, Johnny Boy.
He heard a voice say, it was always here when he was thrown in there. The Scarecrow from the field.
I could always save you from this pain and misery, just let me in.
He couldn't handle it anymore, he was next to his breaking point.
"OK..." He muttered, before everything turned to darkness.