Chapter Five

Jonathan sat up quickly, his skin sore and bruised. He looked into his mirror. The cuts were all, badly, stitched up and his eyes red and puffy from crying. He stared into the mirror, confusion in face. The last thing he remembered was being attacked in the aviary, and now he was just back in bed.
"Scarecrow?" He whispered, trying to figure out if his saviour was still there.
"What did you do?" He said, as he felt his friend somewhere near him. No response. Jonathan began to think he was going crazy. Maybe all of Granny's abuse had finally had an effect on him. He picked up his broken glasses from his side board, He hadn't been wearing them for a while as they had snapped in half after Bo punched him one time, and decided to tape them up.
He sat there, wondering if Scarecrow had hurt Granny. He hated her, yes, but didn't really wish death on her.
Aw. That old hag deserves it.
He finally spoke. He'd never been outside the aviary, or the field before, but then again Jonathan was too scared to say anything to him.
Jonathan slipped on his glasses. He wanted time to think. He pulled on his coat, and snuck down the stairs. He looked at Granny's chair. She was fast asleep, Jonathan's suit and a sewing kit on her lap. He opened the back door, and shit it quietly. He looked over at Scarecrow. He was standing in the field again, dancing in the wind.
Jonathan hurried across the land, to the road where he steadily crossed over. He walked down the hill, watching the chirping birds in the trees. He turned a corner, to see the families short blonde hair of Sherry Squires. She was on the bench, her head in her hands, making funny noises. Jonathan approached.
"Sherry?" He asked cautiously. She stood up and brought him in on a very one sided hug. He stood there, arms by his sides. He'd never been hugged before.
"What's the matter?" He questioned, a little insensitively.
"Bo… Bo broke up with me!" She cried, tears falling down her face. "I-- I told him to stop messing with you and he just…" She stopped talking and looked at his face.
"Jonathan… Your face." She muttered in response to the various cuts and bruises.
"That's alright. Why don't you sit down?" He said as he guided Sherry over to the bench.
"Jonathan. Will you go to prom with me?" She said. Jonathan was lost for words. Sherry was a beautiful person, and she'd asked him to prom. L
"O-Okay." Jonathan felt a sense of nervousness build up in his throat. What if it was a set up?
"Thank you so much, Jonathan." She said as she hugged him, still crying a little. She ran off, with a little wave of her hand. Jonathan felt himself blush. He headed back, not a trace of why he went out in the first place left in his mind.
"Jonathan!" He heard Granny yell as he walked up onto the porch. "It's raining. Get back inside."
He dragged himself in, a small storm had started when he was walking back up the hill. He hung his coat up on the oak stand and went to the kitchen.
There Granny stood, a book open and supported on a stand, a large pot on the stove and a big, fat, bloody rat in her hands. He watched as she stirred the mixture, and dumped the rat into the pot. Granny fished the rat back out, efficiently, and hurried out of the back door, picking up an old umbrella on the way out. Jonathan stared through the window as she threw the rat on one of the scarecrows outside. As soon as she stepped back, flocks of crows leapt at the scarecrow, tearing it apart in their attempts to destroy the source of the compound. Jonathan hurried into the kitchen and looked at the book. It was handwritten, but not Granny Keeny's handwriting. It was a compound used to create fear. Fear in the crows.