Chapter 4

I counted down the minutes and hours until Claudia came in

  I counted down the minutes and hours until Claudia came in. Luckily she showed up before 1:30, so now I wouldn't have to rush to meet him.

"What's up with you today?" Claudia said as she threw her inventory binder down on the counter.

"What do you mean, what's up with me?" I said now realizing that I was smiling ear to ear.

"Looks like someone has got spring fever." She said as her fuchsia stained lips opened to expose her bright white teeth.

"Whatever auntie dear." I teased as I admired the only woman in this town who was pretty enough to even make the outdated clothes she sold in her store look good.

  After a quick peek in the mirror to reapply my nude gloss and to check that the rain hadn't destroyed my straightened hair, I rushed out the door.

"Um hum." was all Claudia had to say as I walked out after doing some primping. She knew me all too well.

  The walk to the coffee shop was normally a quick one, only a couple of blocks then across the street. The rain had let up again and I was relieved to see the clouds giving way for some sun to shine through.

  Before I knew it, I was there staring at the red brick storefront. I realized stepping up to the sidewalk, I felt more comfortable with Seth than I had with anyone since Noah. Who am I kidding, there hasn't been anyone else since Noah. I pushed the feelings of guilt away that seemed to rise up in me.

  Before I grabbed the wooden handle on the coffee shop door I tried to glance through the windows. I couldn't see him inside. Oh lord am I being stood up?

  Negative thoughts flooded my mind as I summoned the courage to actually open the door and walk in, instead of standing out there looking like an idiot. That's when I saw him, sitting near where the books were kept. Two iced teas were placed at the table. He glanced my way as I walked towards him. My favorite table in the whole place, near the books. This guy is good.

"Hey you made it." He said with a look of relief that left me feeling like I wasn't the only nervous freak out there. He had seemed so calm and laid back. It was kinda cute to see him a little on edge.

"Of course I wouldn't ever miss out on coffee or...uh...tea." As I glanced towards the glass jugs of fresh brewed tea.