Chapter 19

***Tyler's POV***
~~~almost three years later~~~
I return for the first time since I left and stop by my house to check in on everything. I see her leaving for work and she's beautiful. Right as I'm about to greet her, I notice she's carrying a toddler and realize there's no point in me trying to talk to her. I go inside and pick up my phone. I plug it in and power it up. While it's powering up, I go shower.
When I come back I see over a dozen messages from her. The last one 6 months after I left.
If you ever come back, my heart is still yours. Just like the little girl that is growing inside me as every day goes on. I hope you get the chance to ever meet her and let me make things right. I miss you so much baby. I love you.
I drop to my knees and start crying. She had to go through having my baby on her own. I didn't even fucking know. Some dad I am. I picked up my phone and send her one text.
Can we talk after work?
I wait for her answer and feel the wait slowly want to tear me apart. I hear my phone ding and pick it up.
I messed up. I'm so sorry. I work half days now, I'll be home in a couple hours. If you'd like to wait for me at your place, I can bring her over too.
Baby, I'd love meet our daughter.
Do you still love me?
I start crying and call her. She picks up on the first ring.
"How could I not love the mother of my child?" I say.
"I can call in sick and we can spend the whole day catching up." She answers.
"No baby. You go to work. I'll see you after work. I'll pick you up. I'll be out anyway so it won't be a problem." I answer.
"Come in and see me?" She asks.
"Whatever you wish my love." I answer.
"I'm in the same room I used to be. I just gotta drop her off at day care." She says.
"What's her name?"
The line goes quiet for a moment and I panic.
"Evangelina Lee Avriel Lykins." She says.
"You gave her my middle name?" I ask.
"Yeah."
"I'll be there soon babe. Meet you at the school" I say.
"I love you." She says.
"I love you more."
I hang up and go get a haircut. I get it done just like I had it before and meet her in her classroom. I'm leaning against her desk with 2 dozen roses. I hear the door open and set the roses on her desk before turning towards the door.
"Tyler?" She says shakily.
"Yeah babe. It's me." I answer softly.
I slowly approach her and pulls her in my arms. I hold her tight, like it's the last time I'll ever see her. I feel her tears seep down my neck, where she has her face burried. I rub her back soothingly.
"Is it really you?" She whispers.
I pull back just a little and smile at her.
"Your's truly, my love." I answer softly.
"Your voice got deeper." She whispers.
I chuckle and smile at her.
"Well staying in my were form all this time gave my body the time to fully develop in areas that were slower. It all kicked in after I met you and gave you the one thing nobody had." I answer.
"What's that?" She asks shakily.
I rest my head against hers.
"The power to completely destroy me." I whisper as a tear rolls down my face.
She wipes it away and kisses me. I kiss her back without hesitation.
"What was in that box that day?" She whispers when she pulls away.
I look at her and pull something out of my pocket. I hold it up in front of her.
"This ring." I answer.
I had put it on a chain for her, so she wouldn't have to wear the ring on her hand. I look down and fight the tears that threaten to fall down my face.
"Baby look at me." She pleads.
I look up at her and see the regret in her eyes.
"I carried this with me every day since I left Rachel. I was planning on asking you to share everything with me. The rest of our lives together. But you refused to even open the box and sent me the text you did. I gave up hope on ever being that guy for you." I whisper.
She looks at me so torn and it breaks my heart.
"Don't look at me like that. I was the coward and ran. Not you. I left you to raise our child by yourself. Instead of being a better man than my own father." I whisper.
"But you came back baby. He never did. You came home. You felt like I had rejected you completely, when that was never the case at all. It's been you since the day I bumped into you Tyler." She whispers and starts crying.
I hold her tight and stroke her hair gently just like I used to all those nights we'd cuddle on the couch together at my place.
"Baby I'm home now. I got you." I whisper.
She holds me tighter until she calms down. I hear her breathing even out and know she's asleep. I take her home and lay in my bed with her head on my chest. I fall asleep stroking her hair gently and thinking about how much I love her. I never should've left her. I was a coward and a damn fool to leave her like I did. I didn't even tell her if I was alive. I could've been dead and she'd never have known what happened to me. I feel tears slide down my face as I think about her having to raise our little girl all by herself because a stupid coward. She stirs and looks up at me sleepily.
"Tyler?" She whispers.
"Yeah baby it's me." I answer.
"Why are you crying?" She whispers.
"Because I was a damn fool and coward to leave you. I could've been dead and you wouldn't have known. I didn't even tell you I left." I answer honestly.