Chapter 1

The sound of the alarm woke me from my sleep.

I groaned as I rolled over to shut it off.

Then, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. "Do you really have to go?" Audrey asked.

I smiled as I faced her, planting a soft kiss on her lips. "Yes. This last year has been great, but I can't avoid work forever."

She faked a pout. "Fine... You'll be back in time to help me move though, right?"

I stood up with a nod. "Yes."

"Good, because I'm not moving all this shit on my own."

I chuckled lightly. "I'll be here, don't worry."

She smiled before rolling back over. "Alright, have a good day at work."

"I'll try."

Then, I headed for the bathroom to get ready for the day...

After a short drive, I walked into the police station.

A slight smile spread on my lips as I looked around the familiar halls.

"Uh, Officer Fischer?" I heard.

I turned, seeing a younger officer standing in front of me. "Yeah?"

"Chief Breslin wants to see you." He said.

I nodded and headed off in the direction of his office.

I knocked a couple times before opening the door. "Uh, you wanted to see me?"

He looked up from his desk. "Yes, yes, please come in, Fischer."

I walked in, closing the door behind me, before taking a seat in front of his desk.

"So, what's all this about?" I asked.

He looked down. "Well, first off, I'd like to apologize for what happened with captain Wells."

I looked down as well. "Oh, thank you, sir."

He nodded. "And, I'd like to offer you a promotion."

I looked up, meeting his gaze. "What kind of promotion?"

"Seeing as though we still don't have a replacement for Wells, and given the way you handled the situation, I'd like to offer you the position."

My eyes widened. "As captain?"

He nodded. "You're a damn fine officer, Fischer, and I cant think of a better replacement."

"Uh, wow, I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to answer now if you don't want, but the position is yours if you want it."

"Thank you, sir. I'll have to think about it, but I'll definitely get back to you."

He smiled and nodded. "That works for me."

After saying my goodbyes, I headed out into the hallway and pulled my phone out...

I stood in the garage of my brothers house, where Roxy and I were temporarily staying.

After returning from Scotland, we met with my brothers lawyer to process the will and the large health insurance policy he had for himself. Being his only living relative, everything was left to me. Including my fathers prized possession which was passed to my brother when he died.

I took a sip of my coffee, studying said prized possession, a medium blue 1973 Buick Gran Sport.

Memories of all the times my dad and I would bond over working on the car immediately filled my head as I ran my hand over the fender.